Toy guns for kids

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

piston10

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
My son just turned two, I have decided to not let him have toy guns. My thinking behind this is that I don't want him to ever think guns are toys. I want to raise him to always have respect for them for what they are. What do you all think and do with your kids?

flatwins

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
My son just turned two, I have decided to not let him have toy guns. My thinking behind this is that I don't want him to ever think guns are toys. I want to raise him to always have respect for them for what they are. What do you all think and do with your kids?

When we were kids my dad did not like toy guns or BB guns. His thoughts were if he let us have a BB gun we wouldn't have any respect for it and end up shooting a neighbor's window out (or worse). He said he'd rather us have a 44mag so we would respect the power of the firearm rather than clowning around with a BB gun in the backyard. Made sense to me.

My son is 11 and fortunately wasn't interested in toy guns. He has 3 firearms of his own and respects them.

n8thegr8

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I've thought about this now that I have a son, and I'm with you. I had toy guns when I was growing up and turned out alright, but I think it's always best for a kid's first experience with guns to be with real guns, rather than toys/video games/movies.

piston10

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
When we were kids my dad did not like toy guns or BB guns. His thoughts were if he let us have a BB gun we wouldn't have any respect for it and end up shooting a neighbor's window out (or worse). He said he'd rather us have a 44mag so we would respect the power of the firearm rather than clowning around with a BB gun in the backyard. Made sense to me.

My son is 11 and fortunately wasn't interested in toy guns. He has 3 firearms of his own and respects them.

I never had to think about this stuff with my girls!

Stephen Cue

Sharpshooter
Reaction score

I had hundreds of toy guns as a kid.

piston10

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I've thought about this now that I have a son, and I'm with you. I had toy guns when I was growing up and turned out alright, but I think it's always best for a kid's first experience with guns to be with real guns, rather than toys/video games/movies.

Don't get me started on the movies and games. I'm a firm believer that a lot of the problems with kids now is the crap they see from movies and games. When they reach the right age it's up to them, but these young kids playing war video games and watching slasher movies is a BAD idea.

Stephen Cue

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
Not giving him toy guns may give him respect for them as tools only, but it may diminish his passion for them. Those without passion for guns are easily made into anti-gunners. YMMV

piston10

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Not giving him toy guns may give him respect for them as tools only, but it may diminish his passion for them. Those without passion for guns are easily made into anti-gunners. YMMV

He was holding his leggos like a rifle and aiming it yesterday. I think he has the gun gene!

I do see your point. It's a tuff call, but I think I'm making the right decision. I want to teach him about them and to respect them, not play with them.

338Shooter

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Had and made tons of toy guns. Guns were out in the open in our house. Knew where the ammo was too. Dad just told us not to mess with the real ones unless he was there. When our dad said something we knew he meant it. We never had a handgun though. Dad used to be kindofa Fudd. Never saw any need for a handgun in the house.

In fact, I still have toy guns.

i306.photobucket.com_albums_nn269_dustingaunder_Guns_20and_20R0f4a4ff9ee926b95679bc4b392790784.jpg

Latest posts

Top Bottom