Trap Recommendations

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

r00s7a

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I've got some problem beavers that the rancher is wanting me to thin out, as they are now attacking the big trees on the slough, and looking for recommendations for traps. Reading through a trapping thread from a few weeks ago, someone recommended conibear 330 traps, and MB 750 leghold traps.

I don't think I am too interested in a drowning set if I don't have to, mainly cause I don't feel like getting in the slough. The water is very low right now, and around the lodge it is no more than two feet at the most, and only waist deep in the deepest part of the slough. It appears that a few body traps near the entrances would suffice, but I am not experienced in trapping beavers of this type. :) Suggestions?

About the cheapest I found was from Mack's Prairie Wings, $18 a pop. I was thinking three of these.
http://www.mackspw.com/Item--i-DKT0431

Got a bunch of bobcats around too, so I figured I'd give a few leghold traps a try. Was looking at the 5.25" Duke traps, maybe half a dozen of them. Has anyone ever used these specific traps or have input on something others?
http://www.mackspw.com/Item--i-DKT047S

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
the conibear is certainly going to be the easiest to trap beaver with, but in Okla, you must be certified before you can use them.
I'm attempting to get certified now. Imhuntin gave me a phone number of a guy that puts on certification classes. He hasn't got back with me yet, but one can also call the ODW and talk to the person in charge of furbearers. They might have a list of instructors.
I can't say this for sure, but I'm thinking the class for conibears is probably about how to arm and use them safely as much as anything else.
If your by yourself, and get your arm in there, you have probably lost your arm in one of the bigger traps.

Typically they come out of the den just before dark, so a guy might get some heavy shotgun loads, or a rifle and start picking them off.

Visit trapperman.com for some really good info about conibear traps.

r00s7a

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Yeah, I saw Imhnt's comment about being certified and have already fired off an email to the ODWC for more info. I watched some videos on youtube with a guy setting the traps, and it is definitely something you want to pay attention to! I'd hate to come draggin back to the house with a trap on my arm. I have shot a couple of the beavers while I was duck huntin, but I am doing this as much for personal enjoyment than a favor to the rancher. I am pretty sure he is just telling me to do it cause he knows I get a kick out of all of that anyway. But they have started sawing on some trees that it would take a couple of people to reach around, so they do need a little thinning. I'll check out trapperman.com... thanks for the info Dennis.

Buzzgun

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I went through a conibear certification class in Stillwater.

I can tell you, the reporting and record keeping required to use conibear traps, even on your own property, is a pain in the butt!

deerwhacker444

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Had no idea you had to go to a special class. I've got some 110's around for stray cats and skunks and such. Didn't know it was such a big deal.

You're right on the 330's, I don't think I feel safe using one of those. One slip and I'm sure you would be in bad doo-doo. I've caught my thumb in the 110, can't imagine what the 330's would do to an arm.

okhunter

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Check out the Oklahoma fur bearers alliance site. There are guys on there that can get you certified. Don't know if it matters but I don't think you can sell anything you catch with a coniber.
John weygandt is on this board and he can put you in touch with someone that can get you certified as well. Maybe he will see this and reply.

Scott

imhntn

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Mostly the class is about how to set them in such a way that you don't catch coon dogs. You have to set underwater without any trap exposed.
Funny story, or not. Talked to an old college buddy in Wichita, KS area today that love to trap and does a lot of beaver control for ranchers. He has set some of the big MB 750 legholds out on drown sets last year in a place they were paying him to get rid of beavers on. The rancher moved in some 500 lb steers without telling him and he trapped one by a front leg, caught it above the hoof, and it went down the slide and struggled so much that it drowned. Found it the next day floating. The rancher just laughed and said I should have told you I was putting cattle in there. He is trapping for them again this year.

Latest posts

Top Bottom