trimming rifle brass

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ssgrock3

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
example of 45/70. Do you have to trim everytime it is fired? I have loaded pistol ammo for Many years, but this will be my first rifle try out.

ssgrock3

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
yeah, 10-4 I got that. I use a manual for specs and loads, no matter what. Just wondering what i can expect for loading rifle bullets. Do they stretch out every time or what?

ssgrock3

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
ok, thanks. reckon my manuals and all the google searches would have given that info up eventually but just curious and am trying to learn it before I take on the task of loading up these big ole bullets. Now to learn how to trim and deburr. looks fairly simple, especially since it is not for a semi auto that will require doing a bunch of it.

HiredHand

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I believe straight walled cases don't strech as quickly as bottle necked cases. If you have to trim just trim to the minimum spec and check a few cases after each firing.

oneof79

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Some straight walled pistol brass gets "shorter" when you re-size it. I don't know for sure about 45/70, it is a straight walled case. Is there an expander ball in the resizing die?

GUN DOG

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
trim to min one time & are probable good for 5+ loading at trap door pressures, ruger & lever loadings may be 3. Depends on how hard you push that 4570. Mesure after you shoot & resize if they fall into the good to go lenth load them up

Latest posts

Top Bottom