trimming rifle brass

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Donald

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I once cleaned and trimmed a bunch of .308 brass before resizing it. It grew after resizing by an appreciable amount (forget how much). CB

That is because you pulled an expander ball thru the neck on the down stroke. That, depending on the resistence, is what stretches the case. You can use the Lee Collet die and eleminate the stretching, but they don't resize the case, just the neck.

don

Blitzfike

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I load quite a bit of 45-70, for both a NEF Handi Rifle (Kills on both ends..) and a Marlin 1895 lever gun. I don't load very hot loads, so I don't have to keep them separated per rifle. I find that I have to trim after two firings to keep the cases crimping correctly without bulges. If I bought a Lee factory crimp die I could probably go longer between trimming them. I shoot either 340 grain hard cast lead or 405 grain hard cast lead. I am still experimenting with loads for both, and have only loaded about 500 total so far. Blitz

Latest posts

Top Bottom