USAF May be Budging (a little) on Concealed Carry on Base

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mugsy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
http://www.foxnews.com/us/2016/01/25/air-force-tells-brass-can-ok-guns-on-base-citing-2015-shooting-that-left-5-dead.html?intcmp=hpbt2

Here's the text:

By Perry Chiaramonte
·Published January 25, 2016·
FoxNews.com

The attack last July on a recruiting office in Tennessee has prompted the Air Force to remind commanders they may authorize qualified airmen to carry weapons on base while off duty and out of uniform. (USAF)

A review of active shooter cases by the Air Force has confirmed what gun rights advocates have long been saying: Firearms in the hands of good guys are often the best bet for stopping massacres.

The military branch earlier this month sent out a letter to its base commanders around the nation reminding them that they can authorize subordinates to carry guns, even while off-duty and out of uniform. It also established three programs to help ensure that armed service members are in a position to protect their bases.

"None of these programs gives the installation commander authorizations they didn't already have the authorization to do," Maj. Keith Quick, the Air Force Security Forces Integrated Defense action officer, said in a statement according to Military.com. "We are now formalizing it and telling them how they can use these types of programs more effectively."

“Finally, someone in the federal government is recognizing what has been obvious to sheriffs and police across the country...”

- John Lott, Crime Prevention Research Center

The memo followed a review by the Air Force of “active-shooter incidents across the country,” which was spurred by last July's attack on a recruiting office and nearby reserve center in Chattanooga, Tenn., in which four Marines and a Navy sailor were killed.

In that attack, Muhammad Youseef Abdulazeez's rampage only ended when responding police shot him. But an ensuing investigation determined that the base's commanding officer fired at Abdulazeez with his personal weapon and one of the murdered Marines had an unauthorized 9-mm. Glock on him when he was killed.

Critics immediately asserted that armed military officers at the recruiting office where the rampage began, as well as more armed Navy personnel at the base, could have saved lives.

An Air Force spokesperson acknowledged to Military.com that the attack in Chattanooga was the reason for the review and outcome.

Quick said three programs established by the Integrated Defense team enable commanders to increase security through conceal-carry. One of the new initiatives, the Unit Marshal Program, enables commanders at every level permission to work with security forces to train Air Force members and allow them to open carry their M9 service pistol at their duty location.

The Security Forces Staff Arming program enables more security officers to carry a government-issued weapon while on duty.

“Finally, someone in the federal government is recognizing what has been obvious to sheriffs and police across the country,” John Lott, president of the Crime Prevention Research Center, told FoxNews.com. "Concealed handgun permit holders have stopped dozens of what would have clearly been mass public shootings."

The U.S. military has always had the authority to allow open and conceal carry, but has mostly used discretion in allowing service members to tote weapons on bases.

“As far as I'm aware, it's always been in the power of military commanders to make decisions of this nature,” Ladd Everitt, spokesman for the Campaign to Stop Gun Violence tells FoxNews.com. “But the men and women leading our military understand their mission and the risks that come with barracks and mess halls full of guns.

"Don't hold your breath waiting for them to embrace America's degenerate gun culture. They won't, and thank God given the potential implications for national defense."

Perry Chiaramonte is a reporter for FoxNews.com. Follow him on Twitter at @perrych

SMS

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Signs of promise, but all of that is geared towards carry of government issued firearms on/off duty. Authorizing concealed carry of POWs on base is another story altogether and I doubt our Air Force will ever authorize that. You know how risk averse commanders are...

Rod Snell

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Under Lemay, SAC personnel were routinely armed. I have been in a situation where key personnel were armed 24/7 for a time. At one time, officers could purchase their own weapons. I was issued and qualified with a S&W Model 15 GI marked M15.

However, anything I was involved in was govt guns, govt bullets, and written orders from the appropriate authority. State issued permits and training were irrelevant when authorized military carry was the subject.

mugsy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Signs of promise, but all of that is geared towards carry of government issued firearms on/off duty. Authorizing concealed carry of POWs on base is another story altogether and I doubt our Air Force will ever authorize that. You know how risk averse commanders are...

Given that the military runs under different provisions than the police (or even Federal law enforcement), I think it is only reasonable, even if disappointing, to expect that military services would want to ensure only military arms are used.

Fyrtwuck

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
About two years ago, my son and I went on a trip and stopped at an AF base (which shall remain unnamed) to spend the night at visiting NCO quarters before we continued on the next leg of our trip. We were both carrying our CCW guns in the truck. He is active Air Guard and I'm former AF.

When we checked in at the visitor center, we told the officer at the desk we both had guns in the truck and we had CCW's. We were expecting to either be told to go elsewhere or that we had to check them, but we were going to be honest about it and tell them. His reply was "You didn't tell me that". We said "not a problem" and finished the sign in procedure and got our rooms.

Fyrtwuck

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I'd never tell in the first place, but that's just me.

I know what you're saying, but I wouldn't want to be involved in one of those "random" vehicle searches that the bases are famous for and have my gun found.

I was in the Security Police in the AF. Every once in a while the phone would ring and the base commander would give an order to search every fifth car through the gate. Anything found was turned over to OSI. Don't know what happened from there. OSI didn't really associate with us lowly SP types unless they had to.

SMS

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Most CONUS AF bases I travelled too had temp storage for POWs. I carried whenever I went TDY and just checked it in...it was fairly easy to check in/out for weekend getaways, but doing so on a daily basis was a pain in the a$$.

There may have theoretically been a time or two that a certain SNCO carried a POW on base either on or off duty but, that's just theory and it was only for a very good reason...a reason that justified risking very severe career implications.

Latest posts

Top Bottom