USPS!!

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Pstmstr

AKA Michael Cox. Back by popular demand.
Special Hen Banned
Reaction score
I'd go in and ask the post master in person what is wrong with the current location? Maybe have him come out and show you.
This. It is required for the box to be in a safe and serviceable location. Ask the Postmaster to come out and show you where. I used to be Postmaster in Ada. Years ago we refused to allow a customer to place a box at a dangerous spot just over a blind hill. He complained all the way to DC to no avail. A month later he was killed while turning into his drive at the same hill. Many times the customer doesn’t think about things like this. I suspect that might change if they had to deliver over 400 boxes a day from the right side of their vehicle.

Pstmstr

Special Hen Banned
Reaction score
They suck. I mailed a calendar to my folks in Va. and they got it after the first page was worthless. Almost every issue of Gun Test I receive is damaged.
I suspect these are packaged poorly as well as the calendar, maybe not. You’d be amazed at the way some people prepare things to mail and then blame USPS when they are damaged.

Pstmstr

Special Hen Banned
Reaction score
Let’s play the “me too” bash USPS game today. I’d love to see some of you guys spend a day sorting or delivering mail. I mean it’s so easy a trained monkey could do it. 😂

OKRuss

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Let’s play the “me too” bash USPS game today. I’d love to see some of you guys spend a day sorting or delivering mail. I mean it’s so easy a trained monkey could do it. 😂
I'll just add that I work for one of the "other 2" that get bashed endlessly also. There's a reason why Amazon, UPS and FedEx all were trying to hire over 100,000 employees before Christmas last year. The delivery driver job is a beech and stress level is crazy high. Traffic bad? Wreck? Rain? 50 packages that have money back guarantee in your van which have to be delivered by 10 am don't care about all that....and neither does the customer!

I'm working on a SmartPost project now and guarantee no trained monkey would ever figure this out!

The ones who think being a delivery driver is easy probably feel the same way about the NBA - just run down the court and put the round orange ball in the hoop. Pretty simple and I don't see what the fuss is and when they miss 1 out of 20 then I just want to scream about that 1 miss!

PBramble

Let's Eat
Special Hen
Reaction score
Then why do they have such a difficult time getting it right? No pride in their job in the .gov sector. Most are there for the benefits.

Pstmstr

Special Hen Banned
Reaction score
Then why do they have such a difficult time getting it right? No pride in their job in the .gov sector. Most are there for the benefits.
Most of it is done right and many employees take great pride in their work. All they hear about is the occasional mistake and many of those are the customers fault due to poor addressing and packaging. For example, the book ordered that was the start of this thread was sent the cheapest way but arrived in 5 days from the left coast. Everyone wants their stuff overnight but wants to pay the cheapest rate. There are some problem employees for sure just as their are in other places. They can be fired contrary to people who claim they are government employees with protection. Wanna see gross waste and mismanagement, let’s take a walk thru Tinker AFB. As I said, they are currently hiring for all the armchair quarterbacks who would like to join the game.

OKRuss

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
What's the old saying "If you have a good experience you'll tell 1 person, but if you have a bad experience you'll tell 10 people."? Or something along those lines. It's society today that would rather focus on the 1% bad than the 99% good, in my opinion.

Public information:
2021 FedEx Ground delivered 334.3 Million packages
2021 FedEx received over 1.85 BILLION rate requests(via mobile, online, offline)
*Can't find the % on time for Ground but it's in the mid/upper 90s. Ground will be the one to get bashed the most because of their use of contractors and not FedEx Employees. It seems the hiring standards aren't the same.

PBramble

Let's Eat
Special Hen
Reaction score
Most of it is done right and many employees take great pride in their work. All they hear about is the occasional mistake and many of those are the customers fault due to poor addressing and packaging. For example, the book ordered that was the start of this thread was sent the cheapest way but arrived in 5 days from the left coast. Everyone wants their stuff overnight but wants to pay the cheapest rate. There are some problem employees for sure just as their are in other places. They can be fired contrary to people who claim they are government employees with protection. Wanna see gross waste and mismanagement, let’s take a walk thru Tinker AFB. As I said, they are currently hiring for all the armchair quarterbacks who would like to join the game.
I've been fairly happy with the USPS. For the most part, they've got what I needed to where it needed to go, although just not in the timeframe they told me. Although there are the times that my boxes look like they've been put through the wringer.

OK Corgi Rancher

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
This. It is required for the box to be in a safe and serviceable location. Ask the Postmaster to come out and show you where. I used to be Postmaster in Ada. Years ago we refused to allow a customer to place a box at a dangerous spot just over a blind hill. He complained all the way to DC to no avail. A month later he was killed while turning into his drive at the same hill. Many times the customer doesn’t think about things like this. I suspect that might change if they had to deliver over 400 boxes a day from the right side of their vehicle.

I know that. Like I said, I looked up the regulations and placed it accordingly. I even went to the post office to ask about the box placement and was told someone would come out to check on it and let us know if there was a problem...that was on Feb 3rd. No one ever mentioned an issue with the box placement. The carrier delivered mail to the box at least twice on different days in the week or two after the box was installed (we're not getting a lot there because we haven't changed our address yet). The carrier also came up to the house with a package and never said anything about the box placement. It's now been in place for 6 weeks and it's on a flat, very lightly traveled county road.

We went to the Ada PO last Thur and inquired about the issue. We were told by the clerk at the desk there was no mail being held but he would leave a note for the carrier to look into the issue. The day after, Friday last week, there was a note in the box saying the box needed to be moved to a flagged location about 30 feet away, on the same side of the road, on the other side of the current driveway. No explanation why. Now keep in mind I placed it in a location where the carrier could easily pull in to back up and turn around...on the edge of a previous driveway location. We're at the end of the route on that road so I knew he'd be turning around there.

My wife called and talked to the postmaster today. He told us the issue was the box needed to be moved because the carriers are not allowed to back up. He also said our mail was being held.

This makes absolutely no sense for several reasons:

1) The carrier has to back up to turn around either way whether at the old driveway or the new driveway.
2) Why is it the carrier can put a note in the box telling us to move the box but can't put the mail in there?
3) Why was it safe to use the current location for delivering the mail he did deliver?
4) If there was a problem why did it take 6 weeks for someone to let us know there was a problem?

I'm not bashing the PO just to bash the PO. As I said...the USPS is generally my preferred method of delivering things. But I detest bureaucrats who can't give me a reasonable answer or assist with solving a problem that should be easily solved.

Trust me... Those of you in the delivery business, the PO specifically, don't know what it's like to get bashed by the public. Try being a cop for 15 years and let me know which is worse. Everyone and their dog is an expert on law enforcement because they watched COPs and Live PD.

OK Corgi Rancher

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score

This is the attitude that I'm talking about. No one said the job was easy enough for a monkey to do. Sometimes a customer problem is a legitimate problem and if you (generally...not "you" specifically) can't recognize that you need to be in another job.

And, honestly, I've had some pretty stressful and difficult jobs. I don't mean to sound uppity but I'm pretty sure I could handle package sorting and delivery if I'm being honest.

Latest posts

Top Bottom