• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to OKShooters Association and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member

South West OK Vintage Browning safe(pending)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PanhandleGlocker

Sharpshooter
Special Hen Banned
Reaction score
Rating - 98.7%
77   1   0
Well done. I was looking around with different word combinations in my search trying to find anything I could. Still a cold safe. But not good to keep valuables in

I was already assuming that “ProSteel” on the top of the safe meant it’s just a locking metal cabinet but I wanted to see if I could find something to confirm it.

caliberbob

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
17   0   0
I was already assuming that “ProSteel” on the top of the safe meant it’s just a locking metal cabinet but I wanted to see if I could find something to confirm it.
The fact the interior was metal and not carpet was my hint that it wasn’t fire rated. Weird though that the door looks thick as it is. I’m guessing it’s a sturdier gauge steel than a stackon would be 🤷‍♂️

JEVapa

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Banned Supporter
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
92   0   0

Weird though that the door looks thick as it is. I’m guessing it’s a sturdier gauge steel than a stackon would be 🤷‍♂️

Not all safes are fire rated. Older safes are still safes regardless of fire rating and drywall inside doesn't make it a safe. Almost all are fire rated now but you used to have to pay extra for a fire rated safe and you will still pay extra for longer burn times.

This box is still a safe and is still way, way better than any stackon or other metal cabinet could ever want to be; it's definitely not a fair comparison.

caliberbob

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
17   0   0
Not all safes are fire rated. Older safes are still safes regardless of fire rating and drywall inside doesn't make it a safe. Almost all are fire rated now but you used to have to pay extra for a fire rated safe and you will still pay extra for longer burn times.

This box is still a safe and is still way, way better than any stackon or other metal cabinet could ever want to be; it's definitely not a fair comparison.
Oh I’m not arguing it’s not a safe. But for $700 I think you’d want to look for a used fire rated safe even if it’s smaller. Not just for guns but money, documents, etc

JEVapa

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Banned Supporter
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
92   0   0
yeah, I wouldn't call it a metal cabinet or a stackon...but I agree, no fire rating would be a low offer. It would be a great barn/metal building safe where I'm not worried about a fire and if the wind blows the barn away, the safe will still be there.