vintage ch reloader from shawnee gunshow

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

taymoor

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Check out this press I found at shawnee gun show. It functions, but needs some grease. very cool design. it is an inline progressive reloader. CH auto champion mark II. it has a nice little bottle to catch used primers, and what looks like a place for a primer tube to load new ones. don't have a tube though. At first I was wondering whether or not I could find shell holders for it, but as you can see in one of the close ups, it doesn't need shell holders, it has a plate that is universally adjustable for any lipped rim. Does anybody know anything about this press? approximate value? how to adjust powder throw measure, where I can get parts for future reference. keep checking back for pics after disassembly and cleanup. also, hopefully I'll start reloading on it soon. thanks for responses.

Attachments

• DSC00508.JPG
    DSC00508.JPG
    46.9 KB · Views: 1,507
  • DSC00510.JPG
    DSC00510.JPG
    36.2 KB · Views: 734
  • DSC00511.JPG
    DSC00511.JPG
    43.3 KB · Views: 956
  • DSC00512.JPG
    DSC00512.JPG
    34 KB · Views: 702

bfoster

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
CH(4D) no longer manufactures progressives. Some parts may still be available. Before using this press I strongly recommend that you contact the owner of CH4D, Dave Davison. If I recall correctly there were problems with powder spillage in all models, and there was at least one lot of faulty primer tubes in which explosions periodically occurred.

Tel: 1-740-397-7214
e-Mail: [email protected]

regards,

Bob

taymoor

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Thanks for the info Bob. that is all really good stuff to know. I'll email him right away. However, is there a reason that nobody makes linear progressives anymore? is it just that rotary presses are more space efficient?

gl89aw

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I have 6 of the inline presses, some older than yours and some newer. Yours is a Mk 2 which is a 3 station press, best for revolver loads or using jacketed bullets, The next one was a Mk 3 which was my first one bought in the mid 70's, and several Mk 5a's which are all 4 station presses that allows for crimping in the last station. It is true that a primer tube can explode but only because of operator error/abuse, They did offer a heavy outer tube that slips over the brass tube that will direct the blast towards the ceiling. the newer ones are much safer as most of the primers are seperated from the primer feed. I personally like these better than the Stars, they are a true Progressive where the Star has to have the cases advanced by hand. If you can live thru the learning curve I am sure you will like it. By the way it takes standard dies for sizing and seating/crimping but the center is a powder thru expander die that is unique to CH. The powder charge is changed by changing a bushing in the powder bar. Powder spillage is not a problem with longer cases like a .38 but if you load 9mm or 45 just put your finger over the case as it moves to the next station, I personally don't worry about it cause it doesn't seem to be enough lost to hurt much. I have loaded so much on my .45 press that if I really work at it after filling the primer/case tubes I can load a box in about 5 minutes. I think 3 min. is my absolute best time.

taymoor

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
gl89aw___I saw pictures of a similar press and I was wondering why the primer feed tube was so thick. lol. I'm glad to see your response though. I've been so excited since I got it. Do you have any idea where I can get any parts for this press? also, is it pretty easy to adjust the width of the shell rail?

Oh ya, and Bob... I sent the owner an email and I'm still awaiting his response. I'll let you know as soon as he gets back to me.

thanks all.

Buzzdraw

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
. . . If I recall correctly there were problems with powder spillage in all models, and there was at least one lot of faulty primer tubes in which explosions periodically occurred. . . .

I know personally of a gentleman in Tulsa who was hurt by an primer magazine detonation from a CH. Due to a primer jam, he had removed the outer magazine safety shield. Some way or another, the completely full primer tube then fell to the concrete floor, exploded and bounced up. Debris was scattered all over, some of it going into the gentleman's hand causing a trip to the surgeon.

Heed what set up the occurrence here and don't let it happen to you.

gl89aw

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
all of the adjustments are pretty straight forward, to adj. the rails, first loosen the outer rail, and its best if you take out the inner rail, you then put a case with the primer removed in the center station, go under the press and raise the primer seater till it goes into the primer pocket, gently push the front rail till it contacts the case then line up the rail length wise using the front edge of the base as a reference, then tighten it, then re-install the back rail, Then check and make sure a primer will seat easily, if not do it again. there is no adjustment lengthwise.

I am a amateur machinest so I just make my own parts, actually in 30+ years I have never needed any for my orig. press but I have made some for the other presses I bought on Ebay and Gunbroker. They really are pretty tough presses.

I have heard that C-H can still supply most parts for these presses, just never had the need to get any. I would almost guarantee that they would supply the primer safety shield for free if you asked.

if you do experience a primer jam be sure to carefully remove the primer tube and re-install the safety shield before attempting to clear it. That way you only have 4 or 5 primers that can go off instead of up to 50 or close to a hundred. I do speak from experience cause I had a full tube blow up just after I got my first one, C-H sent me a free shield after I reported it to them.

taymoor

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
here is the response from the president of CH:

That model was made in the early 70's. It was replaced by the four
station Mk III around 1973. There are major differences between the 3 &
4 station presses but the dies, primer tubes, case tubes, & a few other
parts interchange. All parts specific to the 3 station presses had been
discarded prior to my buying the company in 1990.

gl89aw

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
You can make your own primer tubes pretty easily, true for a lot of other presses to. Take a primer with you along with the dimensions of the piece that the tube slips over and go to the local hobby shop, most of them have a selection of thin wall brass tubing in several sizes, buy a tube that fits the primer and another size or even two that will slip over it until you get to the size that will go over the part on the press, cut some small sections off the bigger tubes and epoxy or super glue them to the main tube, split the other end with a dremel cut off wheel and slightly crimp it, you also need to drill a hole for a pin of some sort to retain them while you load the tube and install it on the press. The case tubes can be made from pvc tubing. Some of mine were made from aluminum curtain rods.

Latest posts

Top Bottom