Visitor from Turkey

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

donMiguel

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
Have a gentleman from Turkey coming to visit on a business deal. I'm just a dumb okie and don't want to do or say anything that might grade against his culture. Anyone on here have any experience dealing with someone from the middle east? Any advice?

Already figure I will end up on homeland security's radar.

When will he be visiting? I think Ramadan starts on 6 June this year, lasts one month. If religious (or someone in the group is), he may be fasting during daylight hours, in addition to normal dietary restrictions (halal / pork, alcohol). Fasting includes drink and food. They will tank up in the morning before sunrise, and again after sunset, but not between. Polite not to eat / drink in front of them during the day.

Buddhaman

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I had Turkish friends in college. Pretty normal group and they were great fellas. Just ask about any food restrictions (many are Muslim) and don't mention Syria.

BReeves

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Thanks gang, already figured it would be a good idea to avoid saying anything about religion or politics. He will only be here for one day, picking up some equiepment to take back and going over our software. Didn't want to do or say anything that might cause friction.

Poke78

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I have a former high school friend on Facebook from Turkey and it appears by his postings that the current prime minister is a definite hot-button for him. I'd suggest that you not bring up Erdogan. Even the US State Dept. hasn't figured out how to handle him.

yabob

Marksman
Reaction score
I have a really off the wall idea, having hired and worked with people from various other countries, why not treat him like a normal, intelligent human being? Do what you would do with a relation you've never seen before from the coast. Most people are really pretty decent.

Mos Eisley

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I lived there for 2 years, every time he says something you agree with give him a big thumbs up and the OK sign...No, really, don't do either of those. You'll be flipping him off and propositioning him.

As far as religion, where I lived a huge percentage were quite religious. Even those that are more Westernized have grown up in a very restrictive Muslim society and thus still abide by those rules. Who knows though? I've seen Saudis throw off their thobes the minute they get out of Saudi airspace and start ordering drinks and harassing women.

If he's only there for a day, just act polite and it'll be :thumbup3:.

RidgeHunter

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I have a really off the wall idea, having hired and worked with people from various other countries, why not treat him like a normal, intelligent human being? Do what you would do with a relation you've never seen before from the coast. Most people are really pretty decent.

Which coast? I've met too many of my yankee relatives. Wish I had some westerner relations.

Latest posts

Top Bottom