VW Passat 78.5 MPG (Imperial gallon) 65.2 MPG US gallon in the Uk

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

B96brig4CC

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I had a Jetta sport wagon tdi that averaged 45 in the city and would hit around 55 on long highway trips. With minor mods you could push them to mid 60mpg+ if they manufacture them all it would take is figuring out what mods would get you to that point.

tntrex

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
You know there is truth to this.

dude is sportin' a Port O'Connor Tx shirt. Brings back good memories drinkin and catching flatties, specs, or reds.

4play

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Do you want twice the fuel economy or half of the emissions? Thats about where we are over here. The EPA is all about emissions, a lot of times this is at the expense of economy, especially for diesel engines.

HiredHand

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Do you want twice the fuel economy or half of the emissions? Thats about where we are over here. The EPA is all about emissions, a lot of times this is at the expense of economy, especially for diesel engines.

Don't the newer diesels have to meet the same emissions criteria as gasoline vehicles? I was under the impression that with some of the newer diesel technologies coming out that the air coming out of the exhaust pipe would actually be cleaner than the air that went into the intake. Maybe we aren't there, yet.

Shadowrider

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Don't the newer diesels have to meet the same emissions criteria as gasoline vehicles? I was under the impression that with some of the newer diesel technologies coming out that the air coming out of the exhaust pipe would actually be cleaner than the air that went into the intake. Maybe we aren't there, yet.

Don't know if they are that clean or not. But they are much cleaner than they once were. But the things and fuels that make them clean kills the fuel economy that they once had. I'm not sure I'm buying this guy's story. Some of Europe has had extremely tight emission standards for quite some time now. As a matter of fact that's what the libtards here want to emulate. I guess they don't see what's going on in Europe right about now.

DaveinOKC

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
The big problem is that ours and the EU emission standards for diesels don't match. We have a higher standard for NOX or something like that, so for them to bring their diesel cars to the states the emission controls have to changed/added to which lower fuel mileage and raise the cost of the cars. I would love to have access to all the diesel Toyota trucks, a diesel Ford Focus and a diesel Ford Kuga and many more. I have driven a diesel Focus in the previous generation and it is night and day different than the gasser. The diesel was actually smoother running, got amazing fuel mileage and pulled a lot better with all the additional torque. Maybe GM doing the diesel Chevy Cruze will finally get Ford to offer one in the Focus or the new Escape in the states.

Now if we could ever get diesel back under the price of gas like it was before the switch to low sulfur diesel.

Dave

Latest posts

Top Bottom