Was USS John F Kennedy Historically Significant and How Does the Navy Determine That?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TerryMiller

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Interestingly enough, there is another ship named after a Kennedy. The Joseph P. Kennedy, Jr. is a destroyer built in 1945 and is a museum ship in Battleship Cove in Falls River, MA. Battleship Cove also has the USS Massachusetts battleship, and a couple of PT boats and more.

Battleship Cove, Falls River, MA

Since we have a few days of waiting to see that our collected road data is okay, I'd love to go over there and see those ships. However, I don't think my knees would appreciate that excursion.

Jason Freeland

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I still wonder why they named the next Ford class JFK, since we already had one. That one should have been Enterprise instead of the third hull.

Edit: I can appreciate the fourth one being the Doris Miller, I mean the man was a hero and must have clanked when he walked.

geezer77

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I still wonder why they named the next Ford class JFK, since we already had one. That one should have been Enterprise instead of the third hull.

Edit: I can appreciate the fourth one being the Doris Miller, I mean the man was a hero and must have clanked when he walked.
I was the Electronics Maintenance Officer (EMO) aboard USS John F. Kennedy (CV-67) in the early 80's. CVN-79's naming might have been influenced by the fact there had never been a nuclear-powered carrier named for JFK. CV-67 was the last of the big oil-burners, and there had already been two nuclear-powered carriers named: USS Enterprise (CVN-65), and USS America (CVN-66). CV-67 was a good ship, but looking back I still much preferred the black-shoe Navy. Aircraft carriers are too much like gigantic cruise ships lol.

OKNewshawk

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I was the Electronics Maintenance Officer (EMO) aboard USS John F. Kennedy (CV-67) in the early 80's. CVN-79's naming might have been influenced by the fact there had never been a nuclear-powered carrier named for JFK. CV-67 was the last of the big oil-burners, and there had already been two nuclear-powered carriers named: USS Enterprise (CVN-65), and USS America (CVN-66). CV-67 was a good ship, but looking back I still much preferred the black-shoe Navy. Aircraft carriers are too much like gigantic cruise ships lol.
Sorry, but having been on both carriers, I can tell you for a fact that the USS America, while designed as a nuclear powered carried, was converted to an oil burner due to cost overruns on the USS Enterprise. In fact, they used to say that six destroyers gave their best to America, as a good deal of hatches and watertight doors were salvaged from them for the America.

geezer77

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Sorry, but having been on both carriers, I can tell you for a fact that the USS America, while designed as a nuclear powered carried, was converted to an oil burner due to cost overruns on the USS Enterprise. In fact, they used to say that six destroyers gave their best to America, as a good deal of hatches and watertight doors were salvaged from them for the America.
Thanks for the update, I didn't know about the America conversion thing. JFK was in the final 6 months of ROH at NNSY when I showed up, and had also just had a change of command and a brand new Air Boss. With upcoming sea trials and the CAG coming aboard, I had all I could do keeping my head above water. I'd have never have survived that first year without the help of a couple of excellent LDO/CWO division officers, plus several outstanding CPO's . Luckily for me, there was not a slacker in the bunch. Can't say we had much fun, but I can certainly say we were busy as hell.

Latest posts

Top Bottom