We were Never at WAR with Iraq...

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Werewolf

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
... at least according to Charles Osgood (talking head on KOKC Radio).

This morning while talking about the troop withdrawals from Iraq Mr. Osgood stated:

"...Of course we were never at war with Iraq. We are not celebrating a victory but our success..."

Hmmmm...

Let's look at that.

1. We bombed the crap out of Iraq.
2. Invaded it with a huge army.
3. Crushed Iraq's army and dismantled it.
4. Disbanded it's government and defined the rules by which it would be allowed to reform.
5. Hunted down, captured, tried and punished Iraq's leaders
6. AND occupied the country for 8 years.

Sounds a whole lot like we were war with Iraq to me.

I guess the Germans and the Japanese will be heartened to know that we were never at war with them either.

:rolleyes2 Talking heads??? :disappoin

Larry Morgan

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
We were never considered to be in a war directly with Iraq because the Herp Derp in office at the time asked that Congress declare war on an IDEA. Yeah, that's right, we declared war on an IDEA. Aren't we so bold.

Oh no, they didn't declare war on Iraq, Iran, Afghanistan, Asscrackistan, nothing. Nor did they even declare war on terrorISTS. They declared war on gd, mf'ing terrorISM. Good one, gov't, you might as well have declared war on fairies, unicorns, and freedom of thought. Therefore sending us on a bender of ridiculous legislation and stupid decisions.

Seriously, every time I think about, I just want to pick up the nearest heavy object and go on a rampage screaming, "You freaking retards, what in the h#$% were you thinking!".

Deep breaths, deep breaths, deep breaths......

/rant

Blinocac200sx

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
We were never considered to be in a war directly with Iraq because the Herp Derp in office at the time asked that Congress declare war on an IDEA. Yeah, that's right, we declared war on an IDEA. Aren't we so bold.

Oh no, they didn't declare war on Iraq, Iran, Afghanistan, Asscrackistan, nothing. Nor did they even declare war on terrorISTS. They declared war on gd, mf'ing terrorISM. Good one, gov't, you might as well have declared war on fairies, unicorns, and freedom of thought. Therefore sending us on a bender of ridiculous legislation and stupid decisions.

Seriously, every time I think about, I just want to pick up the nearest heavy object and go on a rampage screaming, "You freaking retards, what in the h#$% were you thinking!".

/rant

That's just the thing though, I don't think anyone was really thinking. The whole nation was acting on emotions.

S

SuperSooner71

This morning while talking about the troop withdrawals from Iraq Mr. Osgood stated:

"...Of course we were never at war with Iraq. We are not celebrating a victory but our success..."

Hmmmm...

Let's look at that.

4. Disbanded it's government and defined the rules by which it would be allowed to reform.

I guess the Germans and the Japanese will be heartened to know that we were never at war with them either.

Love you last commet....I have a Japanese friend,I will let him know so that he can get up to date...LOL

Glocktogo

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
We were never at war with Iraq. IIRC, we haven't actually declared a real, honest to goodness war since WWII. Here's an excellent statement on war as it relates to this conversation. Posted on another forum by someone who said it better than I could.

I think it is high time we had a foreign policy that was a little more Thomas Jefferson and a little less Woodrow Wilson.

And we would still have a strong War Lobby in Congress. They could vote for all of the wars they want. Except this time, they would actually have to put their money where their mouth is and actually DECLARE war. No more "well, we voted to let the President do whatever he wants as long as we can take the credit or place the blame depending on how things turn out."

And, we could actually let the chickenhawks put their money where their mouth is and buy War Bonds.

Military Adventurists need not fear Ron Paul. You can get all the war you want. You just have to vote for it and pay for it.

Werewolf

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
^^^^^
Officially declared or not a war is a war.

Ask the family members of the 4500+ who died in Iraq or the 50,000+ who died in Vietnam or the 50,000+ who died in Korea whether or not their loved ones died in a war.

Legal definitions not with standing - WORDS count. A rose by any other name is yet a rose and and a war by any other name is yet a war.

NikatKimber

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Special Hen Moderator
Reaction score

/rant

Werd!

Dave70968

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score

Hmmmm...

Let's look at that.

Actually, we were. See, when a House of Representatives and a Senate hate a country very, very much, they produce a declaration of war against that country. That declaration puts us at war.

This hasn't happened since WWII.

We've been in armed conflict almost continuously since then, but we've never been properly at war. That's fairly disturbing, actually--the Constitution specifically separated the power to declare war (to Congress) and the power to prosecute a war (to the President, as Commander-in-Chief). Since the end of WWII, the President has behaved as a wartime CinC, but without authorization to do so. It's to the point that Congress actually offered the President a declaration of war, which he explicitly refused.

Why would he do that?

Probably because war has rules. Wars are prosecuted against named opponents; there are laws as to how combat is conducted, how prisoners are treated, and so forth. The various Presidents have found those rules--the rule of law--shall we say, stifling, and therefore rejected the formal declaration to avoid being bound by the rules. In other words, the Presidents have acted extra-legally for the purpose of acting even further outside the law. The current President now claims the authority to detain American citizens, found in America, indefinitely, without judicial review, based solely upon his say-so; he also claims the right to kill American citizens specifically and by name, and that his decision to name such people is not even subject to challenge by invoking the state secrets privilege. That's right: he can put American citizens on a kill-on-sight list, and told the Supreme Court that it isn't even allowed to listen to a challenge to that list, let alone pass judgment on it.

No, we aren't at war. We're in a situation much, much more dangerous than war.

aestus

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Good one, gov't, you might as well have declared war on fairies, unicorns, and freedom of thought. Therefore sending us on a bender of ridiculous legislation and stupid decisions.

/rant

It's about time we started the culling of unicorns. Those land narwhals have had it coming for centuries. Plus I hear their blood is reflective like liquid mercury and is good for the skin.

Latest posts

Top Bottom