Weighing charges

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cold Smoke

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Since I’m finally getting into reloading in my dotage, there’s a whole lot to suss out. I’m building some opinions based on no more than diverse experiences and observations. Since the initial serious foray involves a single stage press, what are the opinions of the Hornady quick change die bushings? I love the concept but haven’t gotten the chance to coonfinger them to judge the execution. Next is priming. On press, manually or with a dedicated device? I’m leaning towards a hand primer to reduce the number of setups though the RCBS bench top whoosit looks spiffy. Other than being generally lazy, no good based reason. The biggie is charging. How many use just beam scales and tricklers vs drop chargers vs high tech goodies like the Chargemaster or similar? I have no opinions other than I want cost effective efficiency.

I have a pretty solid background in precision millwrighting, machining and metrology so the dimensional consistency aspect doesn’t really fluff my fur too much. The expense of the spectrum of caliber specific tools and gages is kind of breathtaking. Kind of like getting nibbled to death by ducks.

I’m sure there will be billions and billions (Carl Sagan voice) or more annoying questions to come, but that’s it for now.

gracias !

Aries

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I just use a drop powder measure and if I want precise charges I'll use a trickler. I don't load enough volume to justify an electronic scale.

I've used the press mounted primers, but I just like the handheld primers a lot better. Lee, RCBS, they both work but the RCBS feels a lot more solid. I've never tried the bench mounted primers but they look like they would be even easier than the hand held.

Haven't ever used anything like the quick change die bushings, but I've never heard anything bad about them. They look like they should work just fine. The only drawback I can see is extra expense, but they would save some time adjusting dies.

dlbleak

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Supporting Member
Special Hen Administrator Moderator Supporter
Reaction score
I just bought a Hornady hand primer after snapping the second handle I had around for the Lee. Those two handles have primed thousands of rounds but are just made out of pot metal. Have not even put the hornady together yet

okierider

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Supporting Member
Special Hen Moderator Moderator Supporter
Reaction score
Primers on my press....... I drop my charges and check on the scale every 7 -10 unless I am loading for a rifle which I drop close to what I need then trickle.
I found my Hornady auto scale would keep me out of the zone do to over charges , constantly having to zero and just generally being a PITA .

Last edited:

Cold Smoke

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Thank you all very much for the replies! This is exactly the kind of beta I’m looking for. The problem with all the online reviewers is they’re compensated mostly and won’t poop too close to the kitchen door.

Seems like the drop chargers with a beam scale to check intermittently is the way to go. I’ve been scanning them at Midway and other vendors. Apparently you can spend almost as much in that direction as the electronic methods. The durability of Chargemasters etc make me leery though.

Some of the guys at church have said they weren’t tickled with the material quality of the new hand primer presses as they’ve broken several handles. Guess I need to start diving flea markets and garage sales. The downside of the bench top primers is it’s hard to drag it in the living room so I don’t miss dancing with the talentless morons.

Thanks for all the

retrieverman

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I’ve been using the same RCBS hand primers for about 20 years, and it’s the only way I prime. I also use Lee dippers for powder charges. I weigh a couple starting out, and then I start dipping and loading. What I do may not work for everyone, but it produces sub MOA ammo for me. :thumb:

swampratt

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I prime on my Lee presses does not take much time.
I spend most of my time prepping and measuring cases and sorting them.

RCBS 505 beam scale discontinued now is what I use.

I started with a Lee beam scale and it was not 100% repeatable but you said .
I have a pretty solid background in precision millwrighting, machining and metrology

So with a little tweaking I did to my scale hangers etc on that Lee I made it 100% repeatable and it measured the same as my 505 beam scale.
I weighed everything on my scales for years pistol and rifle.
Not every 7-10th one but every single one.

If you use a scale place it on a different shelf from what the press is on and at eye level.
I actually have 3 of the 505 beam scales.
If I ever break one or wear it out I have spares.

DRC458

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
For many, many years I primed on my press. I recently (within about last year) purchased a Lyman hand primer and have been using it exclusively. Like you mentioned, I can sit in my recliner and prime cases.
As to charging, I also weighed every single charge on a Lyman D-7 scale for many years. I have always used a powder scoop to get me close, then dribbled powder to finish it off. I have two different electronic scales, which I will use if I'm 'in a hurry.' I have rarely charged cases straight from the scoop.

Cowbaby

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Just use a cheapo pot metal Lee hand primer. So far so good on the handle. I used to have an original Rock Chucker that had a fold in primer attachment that I liked way better but a thief seemed to like it about as much as I did.

I weigh every charge on a RCBS beam scale and a dipper for a cornbread trickler, Its precise and way tedious but its what I have. I don't mass produce enough to need faster really.
I got this whole kit and kaboodle of what I use now including a press, dies, scale. extra hand tools and an old Lyman case trimmer for less than 200 dollars second hand 20 years ago.

Mostly its what kind of volume your after. Some people need a Dillion 550 and some can get by with a lee loader with a dipper and everything in between

Don't know anything about your new fangled Hornady die bushings.

Last edited:

Cold Smoke

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Unlike someone who displays common sense and concentrates on a handful of calibers, I jump around like a frog in a skillet and chase whatever floats my canoe at any given moment. These Hornady Lock and Load bushing seem like they would keep me from crawfishing into every caliber change setup.

9B19452D-7FE5-4736-8211-43ADEE203E26.png

Latest posts

Top Bottom