Weighing charges

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PBramble

Let's Eat
Special Hen
Reaction score
Unlike someone who displays common sense and concentrates on a handful of calibers, I jump around like a frog in a skillet and chase whatever floats my canoe at any given moment. These Hornady Lock and Load bushing seem like they would keep me from crawfishing into every caliber change setup.

View attachment 250658
So do the Dillon conversions. Pull the die out and set the next one in.

Bahick71

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
i use an rcbs hand primer, works great. If I am loading pistol, I get uniflow set to the correct charge, check every other one for the first ten, and then
just go to town. The uniflow is very accurate, and consistent unless it is extruded powder. For extruded powder, and most rifle loads, I use an electronic powder dispenser. Used a smart reloader unit for many years until it died. I have since gotten a chargemaster, still getting it sorted out. The big question
is what are you going to reload, and at what volume. Those questions will help you to decide to keep it simple, or go high tech. Best of luck to you, reloading can be very rewarding.

Cold Smoke

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
So do the Dillon conversions. Pull the die out and set the next one in.
I stopped in H&H a few years ago and they had quite a bit of Dillon stuff on the shelf but I haven’t been in there in a while. Looking at Dillon Precision online they are sold out of everything. I have a 650 that my folks bought me for my birthday the same year Ruger dropped the original Vaquero. Been toting that around with intentions for a while. Based on my first foray into reloading I figured a single stage press might mitigate the blast radius of my exuberant enthusiasm. Primers being what they are now days wastage is a dark sin.

AKmoose

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Prime with one of these, you wont regret it. K&M precision.
K&M.jpg

Rustygun

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Since I’m finally getting into reloading in my dotage, there’s a whole lot to suss out. I’m building some opinions based on no more than diverse experiences and observations. Since the initial serious foray involves a single stage press, what are the opinions of the Hornady quick change die bushings? I love the concept but haven’t gotten the chance to coonfinger them to judge the execution. Next is priming. On press, manually or with a dedicated device? I’m leaning towards a hand primer to reduce the number of setups though the RCBS bench top whoosit looks spiffy. Other than being generally lazy, no good based reason. The biggie is charging. How many use just beam scales and tricklers vs drop chargers vs high tech goodies like the Chargemaster or similar? I have no opinions other than I want cost effective efficiency.

I have a pretty solid background in precision millwrighting, machining and metrology so the dimensional consistency aspect doesn’t really fluff my fur too much. The expense of the spectrum of caliber specific tools and gages is kind of breathtaking. Kind of like getting nibbled to death by ducks.

I’m sure there will be billions and billions (Carl Sagan voice) or more annoying questions to come, but that’s it for now.

gracias !
I use a Dillon 550 for multiple calibers and a 650 dedicated to 9mm. I prime on press, I am of the opinion that priming off press defeats the purpose and design of the progressive press.
I used the Dillon d-terminator electronic scale for a few years. It was finicky and any air movement or sometimes even fluorescent lights seemed to cause erratic readings.. went back to the old rcbs balance beam for a while. Now I use a $40 electronic scale bought on Amazon and have had outstanding results.

Jack Shootza 50

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Since I’m finally getting into reloading in my dotage, there’s a whole lot to suss out. I’m building some opinions based on no more than diverse experiences and observations. Since the initial serious foray involves a single stage press, what are the opinions of the Hornady quick change die bushings? I love the concept but haven’t gotten the chance to coonfinger them to judge the execution. Next is priming. On press, manually or with a dedicated device? I’m leaning towards a hand primer to reduce the number of setups though the RCBS bench top whoosit looks spiffy. Other than being generally lazy, no good based reason. The biggie is charging. How many use just beam scales and tricklers vs drop chargers vs high tech goodies like the Chargemaster or similar? I have no opinions other than I want cost effective efficiency.

I have a pretty solid background in precision millwrighting, machining and metrology so the dimensional consistency aspect doesn’t really fluff my fur too much. The expense of the spectrum of caliber specific tools and gages is kind of breathtaking. Kind of like getting nibbled to death by ducks.

I’m sure there will be billions and billions (Carl Sagan voice) or more annoying questions to come, but that’s it for now.

gracias !
I used a Lee unit for years then Hornady came out with they're own and I like it better, it has better leverage and with my arthritic hands that's a big plus, I also like the idea that you don't need a special shell holder like the Lee's, they are set up to use either RCBS or Hornady standard shell holders and come with two trays, one for RCBS and the other for Hornadys and each tray can take LR/P or SR/P primers. the only "con" I have with them is the shell holders are sometimes finicky about getting in and out. I accidently put a Lyman shell holder in one day to prime some 260 Rimingtons and they would not seat all the way in, so you have to be careful with that. I still prime everything by hand even my progressive, I get a better feel for when the primer is seated all the way, doing it on the progressive there's NO feeling because of all the pressure from sizing, seating and crimping all at the same time.

Last edited:

JoeUSooner

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Caveats: I have only been reloading for about 5-1/2 years now, and I've always been very careful about quality-control. I only reload 9mm. I started with a single-stage Lee press (still use it with one double-duty die, to de-prime and initially re-size brass, prior to tumbling). But I now use a Lee Pro1000 multi-stage press for the main reloading sequences. With that said...

1) Back when using the single-stage press, I found quick-release bushings to be helpful - for me, they are both easy-to-use and reliable. I found no "downside" to them.
2) I've always hand-loaded primers. Besides simple convenience, I can "feel" the operation well enough (through the loader's sensitive handle) to accurately judge seating depth, so I have more confidence in the final product. And the already-primed brass cycles quite well through the multi-stage press.
3) I initially used a small electronic scale to measure each powder charge, which was acceptable for single-stage operation. But with the Pro1000 I use a powder dispenser in a flow-through die, and QC check every 10th round on the electronic scale (a bit of extra time, but worth it for my peace of mind). In 4 years, I have never found an improper powder charge, so the dispenser works well.

Hope this info helps...

swampratt

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I recently began loading all the mixed cases in .223 I have prepped and I have a few different powders.

One thing I have been doing with the mixed cases since I do not feel they will be as accurate as sorted cases is
dispense the powder right into the cases from a Lee perfect powder measure.

I have the cases in a wooden loading block I made and after they all have powder in them I look into the cases
and I can see if they are all filled to the same level.

Some cases will be full bast the shoulder and those get sorted out or I dump some of the powder so the case loaded volume is the same.

I shot some of these the other day (forgot to take the aluminum wheel with tire on it)
they shot groups below 1" at 100 and largest group was 1.7" at 190 yards and smallest group was 1.4" at 190 yards.

Pretty happy with that and the cheap savage axis they were shot from.
Cases were not trimmed or annealed.
Pin cleaned , FLS, Chamfered and brushed necks.

Latest posts

Top Bottom