Went Whitetail hunting in Kansas..

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HiImSeth

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Beautiful buck Seth, bruiser is right! Not a bad way to start off deer season seeing how it's not even October yet.

So any other stories? See any other bucks?

My hunting buddy has family in Kansas with a humongous spread, thousands of acres that is not hunted. We keep trying get him to set us up a visit up there, but it's one of those deals where he really doesn't know if it's worth having to spend time with his family is the impression I get, lol.

(Nice pictures BTW, shows the rack really well.)

Man, I didn't see much honestly. I saw a couple does on Wednesday, but that was it. We saw a few decent scrapes. My father in law saw a normal-sized 8pt and a few does. The other guy saw a doe and fawn and a lil button buck too.

I'd been hunting since Monday, spending all day (13 hrs) in the stand because I was determined to bag a nice buck. Thursday morning I was about tired of getting up at 4:30 to get ready and go sit in the tree for that long. Sooo as I was telling myself how I was wasting my time/money and how I'd end up taking home a $400 doe. Then, this dude appeared out of nowhere (like normal) about 85yds out and came right towards me. As I was bringing the gun up he got spooked, but just a tad. So he bounced out into the middle of the soybean field and stopped to look at me. On my Knight there are two safeties, one is a screw type on the bolt and the other is standard switch safety. I had turned both off as I had the shot. However, when I pulled the trigger it just went 'click'. He stayed put and just stared at me. I pulled the bolt back again and saw that the cap was still in good shape and noticed the screw safety needed just a slight bit more unscrewing to be officially off (fail). Fixed that and then recomposed the shot and he dropped immediately and did donuts in the soybeans. Poor farmer has some crop circle looking thing in his plot now where the deer dropped and then where I dragged him out. No big deal tho, plenty of crop on his land. =]

Oh and I've nicknamed him Cannabis Buck because there was a ton of wild weed growing on this land. In the mornings when walking in you could smell it pretty strong. Couldn't tell if any deer had been grubbin on it though.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Great story! Just goes to show that time spent in the stand, can pay off. Almost all of my biggest deer were taken between 11am and 2pm, especially during the rut.

I was stationed in Leavenworth Ks....lots of wild cannibis. Most of it is inert according to what I read in the newspapers, but at night there are headlights every were out in the country.:D

RidgeHunter

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Cool story, perseverance pays off. Anyone spending 13 hours a day on stand in early season while not seeing many deer earns whatever they kill.

lol at the Cannabis Buck, you should put that on a little brass plate under the mount. I don't know if they eat that stuff or not, wouldn't suprise me. Maybe that's why the deer are so fat up there.

MaddSkillz

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
That's awesome Seth! The story is even more awesome! Dude I bet you were tripp'n when the gun just clicked with no "bang" and that buck just staring at you like WTF is that thing?! LOL

Latest posts

Top Bottom