What am I doing wrong?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ClintC

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Is it just me or am I doing something wrong with my reloading. The best group I got was .75 but that it past mag length. That was with burger bullets. Everything else was Hornady bullets. Everything else is 1in ish. It could just be me not having enough time behind the rifles. This was done all at 100 yards.

Attachments

• 1A757D6B-6E1E-4BF0-9BFC-DD672FE2BD46.jpeg
    1A757D6B-6E1E-4BF0-9BFC-DD672FE2BD46.jpeg
    2.2 MB · Views: 3

mtnboomr

Questionable Character
Special Hen
Reaction score
Unless you're a competitive shooter I can't see much of a problem, either.

There's a lot of info that's missing, but even then, we can't diagnose the problem. If you're wanting hair-splitting accuracy, you'll have to experiment with different powders, components, bullets and bullet weights to find the exact load your rifle prefers.

rockchalk06

ʞlɒʜƆʞɔoЯ
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Reloading is about consistency. Consistent everything every single time.

Are you using a chrono at all? If not, I'd strongly recommend getting one. This is going to tell you what your groups are doing. I'm not really worried about what the group looks like until I can get my standard deviation and extreme spreads down sub 10 or sub 5. I can find tune the load later to stack them.

How are you measuring over all length? Off the bullet tip or O-Give?

How are you dropping/measuring powder?

What's your current load recipe with the 6.5 Bolt gun?

Getting an AR10 to shoot tight groups is much more difficult than a bolt gun. 1000 different things can affect it.

ClintC

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
No. Just for fun and like going to fouls bore to shoot 1000 every now and then. I was hitting 2 in steal plate at 200 with both rifles.

scott024

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
How does the rifle perform with factory loaded ammo? Also, you might try loading the same bullet, primer, powder, and adjust the seating depth. Some guns perform better with the bullet closer/farther from the lands. I've even known people to load them to where they just touch the lands for best accuracy. You might need a better bullet seating die to accomplish this.

ClintC

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
current rifle set is pictured below. Truthfully the rifle can probably out shoot me. My SD is around 15 ish. I’m hand dropping powder. I still new to reloading. Just want to know if it’s me or the reloads.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    2.2 MB · Views: 0

scott024

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
It's probably the loads. Some guns are picky. I've had some that shoot 1/2 moa with just about anything you run in them and others that get to about 1.5 moa with the best hand load. In the past, you could always get better accuracy with handloads because you were loading better bullets with higher QC. With match grade ammo off the shelf now, a person might not be able to half his group size by handloading. Keep trying and document your success and failures.

hunter966

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
You say the best groups were with the bullets seated out far enough they wouldn’t fit in the mag.

Instead of going out further seat your bullets in the case further, especially the Bergers. I tried the same thing with similar results years ago, I called Berger and they said to seat them further (shallower) inside the case.

But if you do, watch for pressure signs.

Latest posts

Top Bottom