What do you do if : 2 High Yield Nukes Detonate in Denver, FALLOUT Being Pushed SSE

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BadgeBunny

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I would hold my ground. Let everyone else leave! Ill just take what you leave behind! ha!!!

You know, that might be my choice also. It depends completely on whether the department releases their officers (highly unlikely) or whether they go to 12 on, 12 off, days off cancelled (highly likely). Because if GC ain't leaving, I ain't leaving ...

onearmedman

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
If you don't have it, go to http://www.oism.org/nwss/ and download the free PDF of Nuclear War Survival Skills.

Book Page: 12

Many thousands of tons of earth from the crater of a large explosion are pulverized into trillions of particles. These particles are contaminated by radioactive atoms produced by the nuclear explosion. Thousands of tons of the particles are carried up into a mushroom-shaped cloud, miles above the earth. These radioactive particles then fall out of the mushroom cloud, or out of the dispersing cloud of particles blown by the winds thus becoming fallout.

Each contaminated particle continuously gives off invisible radiation, much like a tiny X-ray machine while in the mushroom cloud, while descending, and after having fallen to earth. The descending radioactive particles are carried by the winds like the sand and dust particles of a miles-thick sandstorm cloud except that they usually are blown at lower speeds and in many areas the particles are so far apart that no cloud is seen. The largest, heaviest fallout particles reach the ground first, in locations close to the explosion. Many smaller particles are carried by the winds for tens to thousands of miles before falling to earth. At any one place where fallout from a single explosion is being deposited on the ground in concentrations high enough to require the use of shelters, deposition will be completed within a few hours.

The smallest fallout particles those tiny enough to be inhaled into a person's lungs are invisible to the naked eye. These tiny particles would fall so slowly from the four-mile or greater heights to which they would be injected by currently deployed Soviet warheads that most would remain airborne for weeks to years before reaching the ground. By that time their extremely wide dispersal and radioactive decay would make them much less dangerous. Only where such tiny particles are promptly brought to earth by rain- outs or snow-outs in scattered "hot spots," and later dried and blown about by the winds, would these invisible particles constitute a long-term and relatively minor post-attack danger.

The air in properly designed fallout shelters, even those without air filters, is free of radioactive particles and safe to breathe except in a few' rare environments as will be explained later.

Fortunately for all living things, the danger from fallout radiation lessens with time. The radioactive decay, as this lessening is called, is rapid at first, then gets slower and slower. The dose rate (the amount of radiation received per hour) decreases accordingly. Figure 1.2 illustrates the rapidity of the decay of radiation from fallout during the first two days after the nuclear explosion that produced it. R stands for roentgen, a measurement unit often used to measure exposure to gamma rays and X rays. Fallout meters called dosimeters measure the dose received by recording the number of R. Fallout meters called survey meters, or dose-rate meters, measure the dose rate by recording the number of R being received per hour at the time of measurement. Notice that it takes about seven times as long for the dose rate to decay from 1000 roentgens per hour (1000 R/hr) to 10 R/hr (48 hours) as to decay from 1000 R/hr to 100 R/hr (7 hours). (Only in high-fallout areas would the dose rate 1 hour after the explosion be as high as 1000 roentgens per hour.)

Fallout is very survivable. If you already have a storm shelter, you are way ahead of the curve.

onearmedman

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Next, go to Amazon and order "Pulling Through" by Dean Ing. The first 2/3 of the book is a family surviving a Soviet ICBM attack on the SF bay area. The last 1/3 has detailed instructions on building a fallout meter (same as in NWSS), air filtration for your shelter along with porta-pottie and 12v power in the shelter. http://www.amazon.com/Pulling-Through-Dean-Ing/dp/0441690505
51GxbyLeD-L._SL500_AA300_.jpg

been

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
You know, that might be my choice also. It depends completely on whether the department releases their officers (highly unlikely) or whether they go to 12 on, 12 off, days off cancelled (highly likely). Because if GC ain't leaving, I ain't leaving ...

yay! We can be like that family from "the road"!

rlongnt

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I don’t know where you got that photo but that’s NOT where the prevailing winds will take fallout from a Denver strike. Uumm…. Not even close!!

Use Bing or Google Images and search for a Fallout Map.

Latest posts

Top Bottom