1. Welcome to Oklahoma Shooters Association! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.
  2. All members receive 3 free listings a month. Get unlimited listings for just $10 a year! Click here for all the info.

What do you use to swage your military brass?

Discussion in 'Ammo & Reloading' started by Repubiman, Mar 13, 2015.

1. Repubiman

Repubiman Sharpshooter

Just wonder what everyone uses to swage crimped primer pockets? I have seen several
    different ones out there and wondered what is the easiest to use?

A couple years ago I picked up a Dillion Super swage off ebay and used it for the first time the other day on some 5.56 brass. It worked pretty good but sometimes the case. didn't line up exactly even with the decrimper rod and messed a couple pieces of brass up on the edge of the primer pocket. After using it for several hundred cases I got it down and could feel if it was lined up or not before I went down all the way with the handle.
    I haven't ever used another swage device so wondering if something better is out there?
    Seems to me something mounted in a press would work better, then again maybe I just
    need more practice.

2. Glock_21

Glock_21 Sharpshooter

I have the RCBS press mounted swage kit. I used it up until I got a Trim Mate. Now I remove the crimp with the crimp remover on the Trim Mate. I have read lots of good things about the Dillon unit but I have never tried one.

3. chazroh

chazroh Sharpshooter

Supporter
    Rating
    100%
    Dillon super swage

4. Blitzfike

Blitzfike Sharpshooter

I have the Dillon Super Swage and the RCBS Primer Crimp remover kit. The Dillon is much faster for me to use, and I prefer it to the RCBS. Changing from large to small rams in the Dillon takes more time than setting up the RCBS with a different ram and punch so if only doing small quantities, I use the RCBS if the Dillon isn't already set for what I'm swaging. Also with the RCBS set it is easy to bend the rod that presses the bottom of the case inside if you mal-adjust it. I did ruin a few cases with the Dillon when trying to go too fast, bur you are right in that you can feel the punch entering the pocket.

5. oldkar

oldkar Sharpshooter

Rating
    100%
    Dillon super swage, fast and easy look up the trick with a rubber band on you tube

6. dennishoddy

dennishoddy Sharpshooter

Rating
    100%
    I use the Hornady case trim system. I cut not swage.

7. Hoov

Hoov Sharpshooter

Rating
    100%
    I had the RCBS press mounted and returned it after 3 days. I use the Dillon swager now. The new RCBS table top unit may be even better.

8. Repubiman

Repubiman Sharpshooter

I think I understand what you are saying but could you explain the difference?

9. dennishoddy

dennishoddy Sharpshooter

Rating
    100%
    Swedging basically reforms the primer pocket to get rid of the military crimp. It does not remove any metal.
    The Hornady system use a carbide cutter to remove the crimp by cutting it away.
    I don't believe there is any difference in the finished product as far as safety, ballistics or whatever.

10. Old Fart

Old Fart Sharpshooter

Rating
    100%
    I just use the cheapo RCBS press mounted thing.
    I'm not blowing $100 on a stupid swage tool.
    You only have to do it one time.