What Scope for New Rifle?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

67RS/SSx2

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I am the proud owner of a new Savage 16FHSS in .223 (thank you Gene Sears Supply!). :mosh:

I put an old Tasco 3-9x32 scope on it that I have had for many years. Have not sighted it in yet.

Got to thinking that this nice rifle needs a better scope. Only question is, what scope.

I intend to use this rifle for pleasure plinking and probably some varmit/coyote hunting. I think this gun is only good to 300 yards or so.

What scope would be fitting for this rifle?

Thanks for any and all replies!

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
In the .223 I would look at the Nikon Coyote Special in 3X9 that has the ballistics rings in the scope for .55 grain bullets that are special for coyotes out to 400 yds. I have one on my Rem R-15, and have shot a coyote with it, but it was at 60 yds, so I can't verify the 400 yrd claim the factory says. I will this spring thoug.

BadKarma

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
3X9X40 Nikon Prostaff works good on one of my 223 bolt guns. I have the 50mm prostaff on another 223 bolt gun and really can't tell the difference between the two. Reasonably priced bang for the buck. Won the 40mm on Ebay for under $100 brand new.
Good luck with whatever your choose, 223 is a really fun round.

adluginb

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
For the money Whitetail classics are great. For a little more money however you can get into the Leupold VX-II line which could very well be the last scope you ever put on that gun.

THE JOKER

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
3X9X40 Nikon Prostaff works good on one of my 223 bolt guns. I have the 50mm prostaff on another 223 bolt gun and really can't tell the difference between the two. Reasonably priced bang for the buck. Won the 40mm on Ebay for under $100 brand new.
Good luck with whatever your choose, 223 is a really fun round.

You won't notice a difference between a 40mm and a 50mm unless you are hunting or shooting in very low light conditions.

Donald

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I have a Savage 12BVSS.S in .223 that wears a Sightron 6-24x40 on it. Fine cross hair with dot. Could not be more happy with it. You can't shoot any better than you can see. What ever brand you get, take a look at one with the fine crosshair with dot. Much better than the thick/thin duplex type. JMO.

Donald

Latest posts

Top Bottom