Which rig for pronghorns?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Buzzgun

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I'd shoot the one that is the most accurate at distance. Antelope aren't very big and aren't difficult to kill, so the 243 will be enough, but, the 280 will have less wind drift and that can be a factor in Cimarron Co.

Deer Slayer

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
There are alot of antelope in the panhandle and many of the ranchers hate them with a passion. Just like elk in New Mexico many ranchers hate them. Both are destructive.
I hunted antelope out there several years around Boise City. We saw plenty and killed about 500 pasture poodles while we were at it. A buddy of mine got drawn for an antelope hunt too. I think it is in early September.

RedTape

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I'm wondering about this same question. My most accurate rifle is my .308. I've shot it quite a bit out to 600 yards and, at this time am confident hunting with it to 300-400 yards. That being said, I'm not sure how well the .308 will do in the wind. The only other rifles I have access too are a .243 and a 30-06.

Oklahomabassin

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I'm wondering about this same question. My most accurate rifle is my .308. I've shot it quite a bit out to 600 yards and, at this time am confident hunting with it to 300-400 yards. That being said, I'm not sure how well the .308 will do in the wind. The only other rifles I have access too are a .243 and a 30-06.

.308 should be great. If you shoot quite a bit out to 600 yards, you are well on your way of practicing. Keep it up, you will be fine.

Reaction score
I told my buddy I'm gonna mount my doe for his benefit, since he was asking me about mounting it (giving me crap for using my once in a lifetime on a doe).

Thanks all - I think I'll run with the .280 and 139s or maybe 154s, for maximum wind-bucking.

Latest posts

Top Bottom