Your next truck purchase might be better spent on a BMW or Mercedes

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Profreedomokie

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I've owned Land Rovers for over twenty years. I've had two or three the whole time. They have been tougher than woodpecker lips. I seldom need a pickup and have a 5' x 8' trailer that works most of the time. I don't think I would buy any of the newer SUV models except maybe a Volvo (I'd buy used). About all of them have been pussified to the point they are what I call ski trip trucks. New pickups cost 3 to 4 times what my first house cost and I can't see it. My wife has a Forester which I think is the best value in a small SUV out there.

trekrok

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Not sure when it became anyone's business to worry about what other people drive.

If you want an $80K truck, get it and enjoy it.

If you don't, don't worry about the people that do.
My issue with the $80-100k heavier duty trucks isn't a problem with the people who want to buy them, but more in sympathy with those that need to. Someone that actually needs to haul something for business or pleasure is in for a pretty serious, non-optional hit.

But, it's not like trucks have the 'holy crap, that's expensive' market cornered either.

Shoot Summ

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
My issue with the $80-100k heavier duty trucks isn't a problem with the people who want to buy them, but more in sympathy with those that need to. Someone that actually needs to haul something for business or pleasure is in for a pretty serious, non-optional hit.

But, it's not like trucks have the 'holy crap, that's expensive' market cornered either.
Still worrying about someone else's business, doesn't matter to me what you buy, or for what car/truck wise. Nor do I need to have sympathy for anyone's choices vehicle wise.

TerryMiller

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I can't speak to having been in very many Mercedes vehicles, but the few BMW's that I have been in were very uncomfortable for me as a passenger.

And, since I like to have a tall vehicle so I can better see traffic ahead of me, a pickup or our Ford Expedition works just fine. Back when I was very new to driving, I kind of wanted one of those small sports cars like an MG or something. Then, in the '70's, the wife and I were looking to buy a second car for our family, and I decided to test drive one on a used lot. Pulled out into traffic and up to a traffic light, and all I could see in front of me was the guy's rear bumper. Went around the block and took the sports car back. Never have had a hankering for one again.

yukonjack

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Don’t buy a new one, problem solved. I have a 1994 Ford F-150 for dirty work and a 2003 F150 for drIrving to church and stuff. I have no desire to buy a new one. Too many folks get sucked into that whirlpool of thinking they need the newest thing on the market.

Last edited:

Boehlertaught

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I've had the BMWs and Lexus luxury cars at the same time I had a Ram 2500HD Cummins for hauling. That truck is a real serious truck and the cars are pure luxury. Then I rode in my son's Ram TRX and this was truck will haul and tow decent loads and rides as good if not better than the Lexus SUV and BMW X6. And as a bonus it will outrun most any other vehicle on the road. And I sold the 2500 and got the TRX. Life is now fast.

Latest posts

Top Bottom