You've Got To Be Freaking Kidding Me

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

de-evoproject

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
BTW, you guys sound like your parents when they reacted to Rock in the 50's.

Maybe but I've discovered my parents were/are alot smarter than i used to give them credit for so i'm not terribly offended by people saying i sound like them on certain issues.

And to their credit, using rock in school in the 50's to teach proper grammar would probably have been just as bad of an idea.

BadgeBunny

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I agree with de-evoproject in that My father and mother took an active role in my education so I am trying to do the same with my son. It is a lot of work, but it's worth every minute of it.
B.B. and others got to meet him at last years Thunderbird shoot and swap meet. He speaks for himself.

Yes I did and he is a fine young man! :bighug:

BluRaySS

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
How much do any of you know about the actual CURRICULUM of this project? Just because a song is called "Old Dead White Guy" you think... well, you think what?? What does the song say?

If it says "Washington is just an old dead white guy" then OK, I agree, it's bad. If it says "Washington is this old dead white guy who did X, Y and Z" then maybe it will snag some interest and someone will actually learn something they wouldn't have. How do you know they're dumbing anything down?

By the way, if you think the curriculum you learned in school isn't SEVERELY dumbed down compared to what most Europeans and many others are taught at the same age, wake up.

And if you want a study of modern American social history without addressing the influence of hip-hop and rap (right or wrong), think again. Even most rock music is heavily influenced by hip-hop now.

Mind you, I'm not coming out in defense of racism or sexism in hip-hop music or saying we should flood children's minds with it. But it is a reality of our culture and a significant form of music and poetry. To hide from it is silly.

Maybe this program is totally evil. I just haven't seen anything to make me condemn it. I almost wouldn't believe it but... do all of you find this..."politically incorrect?" Whoa.

Who the hell cares what it says???? If I donated say $1,000,000 dollars for the new age math system that they are teaching (and having AMAZING results with), is it fine that I call it crack math for the big dawg slinga???

Let me answer for you....NOPE! It's wrong! No matter what good it may do for the students math skills it is going to teach them all the wrong things enroute.

BluRaySS

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Maybe but I've discovered my parents were/are alot smarter than i used to give them credit for so i'm not terribly offended by people saying i sound like them on certain issues.

And to their credit, using rock in school in the 50's to teach proper grammar would probably have been just as bad of an idea.

and rock evolved into death metal, and now we have morons like the Insane Clown Posse that sings about nothing but the joy of brutal murders......

BadgeBunny

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I almost wouldn't believe it but... do all of you find this..."politically incorrect?" Whoa.

Pfft ... whether something is politically correct or not factors just about ZERO into any of my opinions ...

However, having raised 3 boys all by myself ... one of whom had the unfortunate experience of having gone to Hoover Middle School for one year, I can tell you that there are some teachers and administrators who are not worth the lead and powder it would take to blow them up.

It has been my experience that it is these same teachers and adminstrations who love to experiment with "cutting edge" programs such as these, often to the detriment of the kids at their mercy.

RidgeHunter

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
BTW, you guys sound like your parents when they reacted to Rock in the 50's.

Deep down Louisiana close to New Orleans
Way back up in the woods among the evergreens
There stood a log cabin made of earth and wood
Where lived a country boy named Johnny B. Goode
Who never ever learned to read or write so well

Big Baby Jesus was teaching the children long before these clowns. Copyright infringement.
Dutty, dutty, dutty.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BS181X4F3bw

Between American Idol, crappy hip-hop, and stupid hipsters listening to the crappiest of crap music so long as it's obscure...music is dying. Please, won't someone think of the children.

Bill of Rights

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
However, having raised 3 boys all by myself ... one of whom had the unfortunate experience of having gone to Hoover Middle School for one year, I can tell you that there are some teachers and administrators who are not worth the lead and powder it would take to blow them up.

Yep, my oldest went to Bell for a year, and I couldn't agree more. I really encourage you to read at least the first two chapters of that John Taylor Gatto book, I think you would appreciate it.

But what I have yet to see is one objectionable piece of material associated with this program.

Would all of you fault rock music entirely as an art form because 311 alludes to drug use, or because Slayer refers to murderous scenarios? I doubt it.

What about all the christian rappers out there? Are they causing our daughters to all be indoctrinated into gangs?

From the website:

ORIGINAL SHAKESPEARE…RAPPED: The CD includes original Shakespearian lyrics rapped, as well as lively modern interpretations and classically performed monologues.

TEACHER RESOURCE BOOK: The Teacher Resource Book includes everything a teacher needs to use Shakespeare is Hip-Hop in the classroom: annotated lyrics, synopses, character descriptions and exercises, all in reproducible form. It also features additional support with lesson plans, writing activities and background information.

HIGH-FREQUENCY WORDS: 500 challenging SAT* words were chosen based on a study of the vocabulary that appeared on the SAT most frequently over the course of 5 years. Each song on the CD contains 40-50 words used and defined in the lyrics themselves.

MIDDLE SCHOOL SCIENCE REVIEW: The student textbook and CD form a comprehensive review of middle school science topics, perfect for test preparation or as a classroom supplement to more traditional methods. The book and CD cover the science that is tested in 8th grade in most states, including earth science, life science, basic chemistry, physics and astronomy.

Google "flocabulary" and listen to the tracks that come up. Anything objectionable there? These are not the most dangerous influences in our children's lives. Not even close.

ignerntbend

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Deep down Louisiana close to New Orleans
Way back up in the woods among the evergreens
There stood a log cabin made of earth and wood
Where lived a country boy named Johnny B. Goode
Who never ever learned to read or write so well

Big Baby Jesus was teaching the children long before these clowns. Copyright infringement.
Dutty, dutty, dutty.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BS181X4F3bw

Between American Idol, crappy hip-hop, and stupid hipsters listening to the crappiest of crap music so long as it's obscure...music is dying. Please, won't someone think of the children.

I long for the days of Hang On Sloopy.
Before you kids were even born. Music meant something.

Latest posts

Top Bottom