“Show Ignored Content”

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

El Pablo

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Back in the 1980s, I was denied a police officer job because I was a white male and not a black female.
Of course, at that date and time, I didn't know I could have remedied that by simply identifying as a black female.

With fifteen rubouts and repeats before and after? Or are you that old?
You know, it could have been all these “rubouts” and “repeats” that got you denied ;) lucky it didn’t get you a few felonies and on a list.

OK Corgi Rancher

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Back in the 1980s, I was denied a police officer job because I was a white male and not a black female.
Of course, at that date and time, I didn't know I could have remedied that by simply identifying as a black female.

Yep... I was introduced to the wonderful world of affirmative action in the same way when I got out of the Air Force in 1989. I tested with nearly 1300 other people for Omaha PD. After the written test, psych exam and physical assessment candidates were ranked. I was number 3 on the list. I wasn't selected because of AA policies. They needed to hire women and minorities and I was neither. They had to go down the list to the 900s to find enough people who were the correct color or gender to fill an academy class of 40 trainees.

HFS

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Just because I didn't say anything doesn't mean @Mr.Glock can type faster (or better, as in no errors in the allotted minute 😉) than I can. 🤗 But then again I typed all day every day for about 25 years. That was hell on your hands when all three was was a Selectric sitting at your desk. Those girls who used to type out legal documents on a manual typewriter have my undying respect.
We had a manual typewriter at home (there was no key for the number 1, you used the lower case letter L) and I thought it was great when I took typing in school and they had those IBM Selectrics.
Never got super fast but I'm really glad I did take typing.

Snattlerake

Conservitum Americum
Special Hen
Reaction score
You gotta be blind by now
Damn near.

1714537614067.png

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
With fifteen rubouts and repeats before and after? Or are you that old?
zero errors. The teletype then had the IBM ball. The most sensitive information available in the day was put on the teletype with the hard copy filed according to classification, the tape was then taken to a computer to be condensed and transmitted via KG-13 Crypto gear. The code used has never been broken to this day.
The government technology was way ahead of the old AP 45.5 baud teletypes you heard of.
We were in the "red room" where encrypted messages were unencrypted on both the sending and receiving end.
At the end of the shift, the ribbons and the roller the ribbon that was typed on had to be hand carried and logged into an incinerator to be destroyed by a second party, witnessed by us. A new roller and ribbon were then issued to be installed before the next shift with witnesses signing off.
Pretty secure operation.

Snattlerake

Conservitum Americum
Special Hen
Reaction score
zero errors. The teletype then had the IBM ball. The most sensitive information available in the day was put on the teletype with the hard copy filed according to classification, the tape was then taken to a computer to be condensed and transmitted via KG-13 Crypto gear. The code used has never been broken to this day.
The government technology was way ahead of the old AP 45.5 baud teletypes you heard of.
We were in the "red room" where encrypted messages were unencrypted on both the sending and receiving end.
At the end of the shift, the ribbons and the roller the ribbon that was typed on had to be hand carried and logged into an incinerator to be destroyed by a second party, witnessed by us. A new roller and ribbon were then issued to be installed before the next shift with witnesses signing off.
Pretty secure operation.
We had to save all of our tapes, even the ooopsies and awsh!ts. When I started at Kingfisher SO, I had to call Enid OHP to run queries as we didn't have a teletype.

Latest posts

Top Bottom