Getting stronger, faster and better

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SKTK135

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I did my very first R&R in light weight Irish Setter hunting boots. Like 8” boots. That was the last time I wore anything but tennis shoes.

Like TK said. I like the Altra Lone Peaks. They have good tread and are light weight. I have had probably 6 pair of Lone Peaks. And every pair I have wore the soles out on them and the uppers were still holding up. Which is unusual for a tennis shoe for me. Usually the upper cloth separates from sole on most of my tennis shoes. Some of Altras other styles didn’t hold up as well but the Lone Peaks are good to go.

Only thing about them if you give a crap is they are not fashionable. If you wore them to highschool you would most likely get shoved in a locker.

Another thing a guy on here taught me is that trail running to strength condition your ankles will be more beneficial than high top tennis shoes will be.

Even if I am stuck running pavement I will run some portion in the road ditch to work on that.

Good job keeping in shape.
Well I suppose I could just wear these Brooks shoes. They aren’t “trail” shoes but dang I like them.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
A lot of shooters scoff at these topics. But I agree. Once you have the fundamentals of marksmanship and mechanics for operating your particular weapons, you should shoot under discomfort as much as possible. You will find out just how disciplined you are, what needs work, and your actual limits. Love range workouts, though you cant hardly do that anywhere without private land
Interesting post that's very true.
Discomfort may come from shooting in front of a crowd during a match when the timer goes off.
Adrenaline takes over for most, but some fall apart.
Several years ago, as President of our local gun club, I got lots of calls, texts and emails about people wanting to shoot at the range on a regular basis without membership.
99% was no.
A few got my interest and went as my personal guests which was perfectly legal according to club rules for any member.
One was the New Mexico Counter Biological Terrorism National Guard unit. They were National Guard but were full time soldiers in town for a seminar at a location not to be spoken of.
We met for dinner at the American Legion and met the next day at the range.
They were all into shooting with discomfort to simulate real conditions.
20 pushups, rise, unholster and fire with pistols was one drill.
Next was to run the 35 yards to the berm, return, and unholster pistols to shoot again at USPSA targets.
Focused on the pistol bays while they were they were there. Great group of soldiers to be with and watch train.
Hell NO! I did not do the same! I assumed the title of "range safety guy" to watch and observe.

Jgibs0321

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Interesting post that's very true.
Discomfort may come from shooting in front of a crowd during a match when the timer goes off.
Adrenaline takes over for most, but some fall apart.
Several years ago, as President of our local gun club, I got lots of calls, texts and emails about people wanting to shoot at the range on a regular basis without membership.
99% was no.
A few got my interest and went as my personal guests which was perfectly legal according to club rules for any member.
One was the New Mexico Counter Biological Terrorism National Guard unit. They were National Guard but were full time soldiers in town for a seminar at a location not to be spoken of.
We met for dinner at the American Legion and met the next day at the range.
They were all into shooting with discomfort to simulate real conditions.
20 pushups, rise, unholster and fire with pistols was one drill.
Next was to run the 35 yards to the berm, return, and unholster pistols to shoot again at USPSA targets.
Focused on the pistol bays while they were they were there. Great group of soldiers to be with and watch train.
Hell NO! I did not do the same! I assumed the title of "range safety guy" to watch and observe.
I support RSOs being RSOs haha! And not everyone has to shoot stressed, but for myself, Ive found I sometimes shoot better, I guess its like “forced hyper-focus”.

gmar

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Can you do the Run and Gun as an individual or is a team required to participate??
IMG_3319.jpeg

Just saw this on Facebook and it’s an individual event

Latest posts

Top Bottom