Training a new guy, but has been in the petroleum business for 10 years.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Big House

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I understand that there are many fields of business in this industry. He hired on two months ago and has a hard time of listening to instructions and following specific directions. He also wants to argue and debate about everything I'm trying to teach him. At two months of training, he should be pretty close to understanding our company's way of doing things, since it's pretty much the same thing day in and day out. We have butted heads a couple of times due to his lack of listening to direct instructions. Pretty much since day one. This happens at least three times a week.

Today, I had my fill of him not doing what he was told and told him that all I had to do was make one phone call to all of our other techs and no one would answer his calls or offer any help. And he would be out there on his own trying to figure out what I've been trying to teach him for two months. I flat out told him I wasn't answering his calls. I also told him that I've trained guys that had zero experience in our line of work that were ready to break out on their own in two months, and here we are two months in, and you haven't grasped 15% of what you need to know.

The only thing he listened to me about today was for him to go sit in his work truck and think about I had said. 30 minutes later he comes back and started talking about earning respect. My damn face turned red, and I lit into him again. This has nothing to do respect. This is about you listening and doing what you are asked/told to do. No debate, no back talk, just do it.

I've talked to my boss about this at least three times in the past two months. He knows this guy is a problem. Today, I called him and told him I've done all can do with him. It's time for someone else to have a crack at him.

Thanks, for letting me vent.

KurtM

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Yes, I've got a "new pup" just like him wormy as hell and doesn't know what he doesn't know but will argue about it. Worse this one was supposed to be fully trained and had his degree from A+M. Not proactive at all. I might as well be working alone.

Big House

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
At first, I thought just reminding him was going to work. After three weeks my fuse was getting shorter and shorter. Funny thing is, he would show up the next day and actually do what he was supposed to do. Two days later, it was back to the way he was. I swear he woke up every day in a new world.

scott024

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Let me guess, he's 35 or younger and has probably worked at about 4 or 5 places since he got out of college. The company I work for hired quite a few fresh out of college kids in 2018. They are the worst at following instructions, and refuse to figure anything out on their own, zero aptitude.

Last edited:

Big House

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Yep it's even worse when you know more than the supervisor .
Our OP's managers know very little about any of the troubleshooting requirements needed to locate a leak. They do have general knowledge of what our basic testing procedures are. Protocol is for a technician to call a QC manager to fail a line, tank or vapor release issue. The QC will give out step by step instructions. All I have to do is call the QC person and tell them something failed, and he is good with my results. He knows I've already followed the steps that are required. New techs have to call after each of their testing procedures. From the time a new tech calls the QC, it could take 4-6 additional hours of a techs time. I've saved myself that amount of time. This is what I'm training/teaching the FNG and the basic testing protocol. Since we are paid a salary, it's in the FNG's best interest to pay attention and not debate what's going on.

Big House

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Let me guess, he's 35 or younger and has probably worked at about 4 or 5 places since he got out of college. The company I work for hired quite a few fresh our of college kids in 2018. They are the worst at following instructions, and refuse to figure anything out on their own, zero aptitude.
I have no idea of his education level. I graduated HS and had a year of college. Sometimes it not about the college education as much as it is common sense. I have tried to wrap my brain around why he is the way he is. I just can't pinpoint it. Hell, I've even asked him today and he couldn't give me an answer. After our conversation today, I think his brain is wrapped around the idea respect.

Latest posts

Top Bottom