Turkey hunting 2024

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Buck98

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
🤣Novice? You shot a super good bird on opening day!

I was using my old Winchester 1300 pump 12 gauge with Winchester Long Beard XR #4’s, it’s got a MADD (Drury Bro.s) choke in it probably .650 or .625, somewhere in that range, I let out 2 soft yelps with a Will Primos WP1 mouth call then he came strutting up and over a terrace at 35 yards.

I had on my Rocky snake boots, old DuxBack camo, sprayed down with Permethrin tick spray, Hanes T-Shirt along with Hanes underwear, and Converse calf high socks.

So if anyone’s connected with these companies I’m available to advertise for ya’ll, we can discuss compensation and perks.
You actually wore underwear?

meatGrinder

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
What a season so far. Seen more turkeys on public than the last 3 years combined.
I've set up 3 times in one particular area where there are 2 big toms, a jake and a few hens roosting. Each time they've given us the slip and moved on the opposite direction than where we think. Tried to hurry and get in front of them to cut them off, but they make it to the private land fence just in the nick of time. The roost is on private, they fly down onto public and are back on another private spot within the first hour.
Big problem is their strut zone is wide open area near some oilfield equipment. If i try to set up on their flydown spot there is nowhere to hide myself. One of the toms is a beast, biggest Tom I've seen on public. My last chance to hunt will be Wed. I plan to be there at flydown once again to find a way to get in front of them. I might just pop a squat behind of the tanks and hope they go that way. If not, ill be there at roost time to catch them on the way up. These toms are causing me to lose sleep, lol.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
What a season so far. Seen more turkeys on public than the last 3 years combined.
I've set up 3 times in one particular area where there are 2 big toms, a jake and a few hens roosting. Each time they've given us the slip and moved on the opposite direction than where we think. Tried to hurry and get in front of them to cut them off, but they make it to the private land fence just in the nick of time. The roost is on private, they fly down onto public and are back on another private spot within the first hour.
Big problem is their strut zone is wide open area near some oilfield equipment. If i try to set up on their flydown spot there is nowhere to hide myself. One of the toms is a beast, biggest Tom I've seen on public. My last chance to hunt will be Wed. I plan to be there at flydown once again to find a way to get in front of them. I might just pop a squat behind of the tanks and hope they go that way. If not, ill be there at roost time to catch them on the way up. These toms are causing me to lose sleep, lol.
Hit that open area and don't move. I've taken toms walking across an open field just by stopping and letting them come to me.

retrieverman

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Patterned two more turkey loads today and tried out the Holosun 509t red dot, and both loads and the sight performed well.
IMG_0810.jpeg

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Patterned two more turkey loads today and tried out the Holosun 509t red dot, and both loads and the sight performed well.
View attachment 479375
Nice looking set-up!

I have a dot on a Turkish AR style 12 ga. The boys at the trap range didn't really like that when I went to the line with it. Put that dot about 6" in front of the clay, follow through and it's a break every time.

Latest posts

Top Bottom