Welding birthday gift

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bigdawg90

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
My wife asked me what I wanted for my birthday. Much to her chagrin, I said a welder and welding accessories.

She hates buying me tools for my birthday, but it’s what I use, and I look at them as both a way to make money and a very enjoyable hobby.

I’m not terribly familiar with welding, and only know the basics. I’ve stick welded a few things. I’ve watched a ton of YouTube videos so I’m a millennial expert. 😂

Mainly I want to be able to repair my aluminum boat (low priority), build some steel accessories for my trailers (1/4” steel max but more likely less than 3/8”), weld up a couple of pig and chicken feeders out of sheet steel and make some new garage stuff out of angle iron and tube/square steel. Down the road I’d like to weld up some tubes to strengthen my trucks frame, build a custom motor mount, and build my own exhaust for my old Ford.

What would you buy if you want to do all this? Portable isn’t super necessary. I’ll do most of my building out of my shed or garage and I already have a way to transport large tools between them. I’m getting paralysis by analysis deciding between flux, mig and tig machines, big small, high end/harbor freight.

Cheap is good, but my priority is buying something quality that will last and I won’t grow out of within a couple years. I’d like to stick around $1k-$1.5k but can go higher if I can do everything on my list and then some. Or should I go used and cheap and then upgrade once I have experience?

I have an extra 220 (30A breaker for a second dryer we no longer have) in my garage that I could convert and use and my shed runs off a 10k generator with a 220 so either 220 or 115 is fine.

I don’t know very many people with good welding experience. Most are the “get it done” type people so their suggestions are all over the map. lol. This will be my first welder : )

fatcpa

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Not sure what your budget might be, but a check out the ESAB EMP 215. A bit pricey but might fit the bill for a long time.

Bigdawg90

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Not sure what your budget might be, but a check out the ESAB EMP 215. A bit pricey but might fit the bill for a long time.
I didn’t even know they made one that did everything in one machine. That smart mig looks awesome. That’s be worth it. Thank you.

Fr Mulcahy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
My wife asked me what I wanted for my birthday. Much to her chagrin, I said a welder and welding accessories.

She hates buying me tools for my birthday, but it’s what I use, and I look at them as both a way to make money and a very enjoyable hobby.

I’m not terribly familiar with welding, and only know the basics. I’ve stick welded a few things. I’ve watched a ton of YouTube videos so I’m a millennial expert. 😂

Mainly I want to be able to repair my aluminum boat (low priority), build some steel accessories for my trailers (1/4” steel max but more likely less than 3/8”), weld up a couple of pig and chicken feeders out of sheet steel and make some new garage stuff out of angle iron and tube/square steel. Down the road I’d like to weld up some tubes to strengthen my trucks frame, build a custom motor mount, and build my own exhaust for my old Ford.

What would you buy if you want to do all this? Portable isn’t super necessary. I’ll do most of my building out of my shed or garage and I already have a way to transport large tools between them. I’m getting paralysis by analysis deciding between flux, mig and tig machines, big small, high end/harbor freight.

Cheap is good, but my priority is buying something quality that will last and I won’t grow out of within a couple years. I’d like to stick around $1k-$1.5k but can go higher if I can do everything on my list and then some. Or should I go used and cheap and then upgrade once I have experience?

I have an extra 220 (30A breaker for a second dryer we no longer have) in my garage that I could convert and use and my shed runs off a 10k generator with a 220 so either 220 or 115 is fine.

I don’t know very many people with good welding experience. Most are the “get it done” type people so their suggestions are all over the map. lol. This will be my first welder : )
Tulsa Tech has good night classes on welding. The classes last eight weeks and you learn a lot. My significant other took the class and liked it so much that she took it again.

After the first semester, she was able to repair a gun part that a very good gunsmith had messed up by using too much heat on his weld.

Parks 788

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I'll give you my novice welding experience. Novice but still real life legitimate experience. 20 years ago I bought a Lincoln Sp135 Mig welder. Super happy with it. I believe it technically will weld up to 5/16" steel. I've fabbed some 1/4" and turned it up hot and seemed to get good welds. It does/is capable of doing 75% of what I'd like to get done. Have done a ton of projects over the years. That being said, I wish I'd have spend more on a welder capable of doing at least 3/8' plate and a multi process welder. Miller and Lincoln make good machines but to save a little money and still get a good machine for your shop you could look at Hobart. I'm not in the market at this time but if I was I'd be looking at something in the class of the Miller Multimatic 215. With that you can expect to spend in the nighborhood of $2500.

Bravo1413

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
If you're looking to get a cheaper, good, reliable and portable machine I like Yeswelder. Used it to weld my boat's deck lids together and it worked great.
I have a yes welder 205 that is mig, stick,and tig. 110 or 220 volt. . Also have an Eastwood 135, 110 volt. I have welded over 1/2” steel on neighbors tractor. I just keep heat up and feed down and get good penetration. Yes is new and only used it a couple of times, but seems to work great on mig and stick. Eastwood seems a bit better on thin stuff. It offers better control.

Latest posts

Top Bottom