6.5 Grendel build

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TacticalJ

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Hey guys, I posted my last build on here and got some good feedback on it. I am curious if any of you guys would be interested in me documenting and posting my next build, which will be a 6.5 Grendel AR15 upper. If there is interest, I'll take the time to post it. If not then I'll just take my normal pics and keep em for myself. Let me know, I getting ready to start ordering parts. Thanks Jason

kpk

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Heck yeah why not? I'd like to see it. I've got a 24" I just recently got done as well. What parts you going to be using?

TacticalJ

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Unsure on the parts as of yet, I'm torn between Sabre and Alexander Arms. I think the Sabre defense is a better product, but the cost of the Alexander is much better for my wallet! We'll see.

I'm sure lots of people know how to build an AR, it's not difficult it's like the tinker toys of guns.

kpk

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Mines a 24" Sabre Defense barrel, billet upper, etc. I too know how to build one...I've built 6 or so, but I always like pics...

kpk

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Here it is. Terrible pic and it looks stupid w/ the bipod all the way out, but I like it and it shoots well.

aimg.photobucket.com_albums_v466_kpk102084_39565_544700156139_177801270_31713015_5604131_n.jpg

TacticalJ

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
You think a 24" is the way to go? How is the accuracy? I was looking at the 24" AA, but I found a used 18" Sabre Defense that I can pick up with the gas system and such for a pretty cheap price with less then 200rds through it, according to the owner. I've never owned/built a 6.5 so I'm not sure. My research has shown that a 20" barrel is about optimum for the Grendel. I'm not sure, I want an accurate rifle, but if I can save some cash and still get an accurate rifle then I'm all for that as well! Thanks for the input guys.

kpk

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Well the length of barrel will not affect accuracy. It will affect velocity which will in a way affect downrange drift and drop. Honestly the 24" is nice for a medium range target rifle, hunting, etc., but if you can get a deal on an 18" I don't think you will be missing a ton as far as a hunting rifle goes. The 24" will optimize everything the Grendel can do...The 18" is very very nice though. I've got an 18" 5.56 ar and I'd take it over any others probably...as far as weight, etc.