140 mph = $500 ticket but no jail time

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

swampratt

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Is that towing the loaded trailer?? 🤷
Funny story.

Loaded up my homemade other trailer a Chevy S10 frame made into a trailer to haul my actually 18 foot long Coleman canoe.
I had icechests and fishing gear and tow chains etc in it to go on a 2 week fishing trip to Little City.
I just changed my gears in the 78 Nova to 2.29 gears and my 31x10.5x15 mudders on it.
11.9 compression 350" with 270H comp cam Ported and milled double hump heads.

ANYWAY.
Past 19th street on I35 headed south and some guys in a white hot rod with many performance parts window stickers rolls beside me and blips the throttle and I am going 65 MPH.

He pulls away taunting me.
BS say.
I pulled the shifter into first gear as it would run 95 MPH in first.
I was neck and neck with him and race was on.
I hit second gear and got a second gear scratch and it quit gaining speed at 5500 rpm in second and he began inching ahead of me.

I had to shift, when it hit 3rd the Nova lurched forward and pulled way ahead of that old hot rod. (Chevelle maybe).

He braked and we slowed to highway speed and I got a thumbs up.
About 145 MPH in second gear pulling my trailer.

So yes to your question sort of. :)

TANSTAAFL

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Funny story.

Loaded up my homemade other trailer a Chevy S10 frame made into a trailer to haul my actually 18 foot long Coleman canoe.
I had icechests and fishing gear and tow chains etc in it to go on a 2 week fishing trip to Little City.
I just changed my gears in the 78 Nova to 2.29 gears and my 31x10.5x15 mudders on it.
11.9 compression 350" with 270H comp cam Ported and milled double hump heads.

ANYWAY.
Past 19th street on I35 headed south and some guys in a white hot rod with many performance parts window stickers rolls beside me and blips the throttle and I am going 65 MPH.

He pulls away taunting me.
BS say.
I pulled the shifter into first gear as it would run 95 MPH in first.
I was neck and neck with him and race was on.
I hit second gear and got a second gear scratch and it quit gaining speed at 5500 rpm in second and he began inching ahead of me.

I had to shift, when it hit 3rd the Nova lurched forward and pulled way ahead of that old hot rod. (Chevelle maybe).

He braked and we slowed to highway speed and I got a thumbs up.
About 145 MPH in second gear pulling my trailer.

So yes to your question sort of. :)
Your story reminded me of a trip returning to OKC from Michigan. I was on the Turnpike just North of Tulsa and some idiot was doing 95 in a Volvo SUV towing an empty Trailer. He didn't see traffic in front of him so slammed on the brakes, causing the trailer to jump up and down behind him. The trailer was a small flatbed with caged sides, he's lucky it didn't break loose or wind up on top of his car. Again, just because a vehicle can do 100 mph, doesn't mean it should be driven that way. POed me because he was next to me and I'm lucky it didn't jack knife into me. I was in the left lane doing 85 mph, he was trying to pass on the right, I had cars in front of me.

Pstmstr

AKA Michael Cox. Back by popular demand.
Special Hen Banned
Reaction score
People drive like idiots these days. Driving 140 mph with only the possibility of a $500 ticket if caught is the reason why. She was probably texting while driving as well but apparently OHP doesn’t care about that. Insurance rates keep going up and there are more uninsured drivers on the road than ever. It’s all fun and games until the accident that would never happen to you does. Any idiot can sit in a car and press a pedal.

TANSTAAFL

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Many vehicles are capable of 140 mph. Most 1984 on up Mustangs V-8's can do that. Most Camaro V-8's 1984 on up can do that. For Dodge fans many can reach that mark too, except for the 4 bangers. I don't advocate governing vehicles to a particular speed. People no matter what will do stupid things and act irresponsibly. Many are overconfident in the ability of their tires to handle sustained speeds over 90 mph. Last time I can remember having a tire blow is in the 1980's.

Latest posts

Top Bottom