1911: Kimbers and S&W's

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gun4hire

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
My first gun was a Kimber Combat Carry. I bought it from a friend of the family and got a great deal on it. Its a great gun but I don't shoot it much anymore.

surjimmy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Don't know the reason. For me, I would pick the Smith over the Kimber. If I was willing to pay the money for the higher end Kimber's, I would just add another $100 or so and buy a Les Baer. IMHO, Kimbers are way over priced.

gun001guns

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I have two sig 1911's, a kimber TLE, and SW E Series two tone with rounded butt. SW is the best looking gun of the bunch, but is the least accurate. Truthfully the sigs will out shoot either of the other two hands down and are only a bit over half the price.

Wolf44

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
One had their moment, got flamed by the crowds / owners of other 1911s due to brand fighting and then growth issues/QC and MIM fights.

The E series is different, the Perf. series was touted as pretty solid, but feel the E series closes that gap in the SW line. SW did a great job IMO on the PD series.

As Noted above, I find the pricing on the Kimber's plain crazy. Buy a Springer TRP, Les Baer or Ed Brown either new or used units and have a better and more desirable tool. Potentially save money too. Dan Wesson as well, those early models were very Les "Like" in fit and function and would assume the new units are the same/similar. Springer worked YO BO 1* used to be around 15-1650$ and a great buy for the work done by Guru(s).

Flame shield activate.

Pharr Shot

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I would say Kimber sells more 1911's than S&W, like here in McAlester, H.L.'s gun shop has A TON of Kimbers for sale.
Besides that some models Kimber makes are cheaper than the E-Series S&W makes, but I'd rather own a S&W 1911 any day than a Kimber, my dad ain't gonna let me spend my money on a Kimber because he says they have a good amount of problems with them.

cdoan02

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I personally think because Kimber sells more 1911s. I own a kimber and love it, problem free. I own a Ruger 1911 love it and it is problem free. Never owned a Smith but the E series looks nice. Though for the money, I think I would rather have a kimber.

This. More Kimbers produced= more Kimbers on the market.

Latest posts

Top Bottom