1st 1911 decision. Need advice

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

septic_shock

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I've been thinking about picking up my first 1911. I had a chance to handle two guns that I liked: ruger sr1911 and a springfield parkerized mil spec. I walked out of the store because I just couldn't decide. I prefer the classic look of the mil spec, but wasn't sure if I would need a beaver tail or not, like what is found on the ruger. The ruger is nice with all the standard stuff.
I'm also wondering about the sights. The ruger has novaks, butt the springer is staked. They both looked fine me, but I know that it is a major hassle to change the sights on the mil spec.
What do you think? I would like to make either of these guns my primary carry. Any other models I should look at?

Lurkerinthewoods

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Supporter
Reaction score

septic_shock

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Upgrades aside (which is important none the less), would you consider the ruger to be equal in quality of fit and materials? I know some people make a big deal about cast vs forged frames. But as far as I know ruger knows how to make a damn good casting.
Am I over thinking this, lol?

Lurkerinthewoods

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Supporter
Reaction score
Upgrades aside (which is important none the less), would you consider the ruger to be equal in quality of fit and materials? I know some people make a big deal about cast vs forged frames. But as far as I know ruger knows how to make a damn good casting.
Am I over thinking this, lol?

The slide fit on the ruger is tight and smooth and the finish was flawless. To be fair, the Springfield fit and finish was tight as well. I would do a quick comparison, but after shooting the SR1911, I sold both my Springfields.

Grindstone

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score

Latest posts

Top Bottom