1st 1911 decision. Need advice

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Glocktogo

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
The only knock on the Ruger I've heard was some of the early guns had a tendency to break the front sight. Not sure if they've corrected that issue or not. As far as ergonomics and features for a carry gun, the Ruger is set up right and the mil-spec Springer leaves a lot to be desired. I'd prefer a Loaded Springer over the Ruger, but not the mil-spec. FWIW, I owned an early mil-spec Springer I upgraded with a beavertail, extended thumb safety and Videcki trigger, so that's from experience. JMO, YMMV

JD8

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
IMHO, the Ruger is the best buy out there for the money in the 1911 world. With everything you get, the Ruger should cost $800 plus.

Gonna second this.

To the OP, which one feels better in your hand? I know the Ruger would feel better in mine due the beavertail and sight picture. The Springfield is a great gun, but I'd advise to not buy a base gun waiting for customization for your first 1911. Buy something with options you like, shoot the heck out of it, and THEN look at going custom.

JD8

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Seconded on the RIA. Every review I've seen puts it either on par or above high-dollar, big-name 1911s. You don't need a big name or a big price tag to get quality.

Well there's "reviews" and then there's reality. RIAs are neat guns for the money, but they don't compete with "high dollar 1911s." However, I may think "high dollar" is something different than you do.

Grindstone

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Well there's "reviews" and then there's reality. RIAs are neat guns for the money, but they don't compete with "high dollar 1911s." However, I may think "high dollar" is something different than you do.

What do you consider "high dollar"?

Also, feel free to look up those reviews. Many are from very reputable sources. Or you could just dismiss them out of hand for no good reason.

surjimmy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
^^^^^You can take this for what it's worth. I am by no means a 1911 expert, but I do have some experience in owning some lower end 1911's and owning some of the best. A Rock Island is a sub $500 gun, no more. It will shoot and be a good gun, it will never be better then a Springfield even the lower end Springfield. Period. To compare it to any of the Mid level guns, well it just don't fly. I have owned a RI Tactical, nice gun for what it is. Once you start putting serious amount of rounds through it, it will revel itself for what it is. A sub $500 gun. I base this on be blessed with owning RI, Springfields including the TRP, Ruger's, Colt's. Custom's by AD Swenson, Austin Behlert, Tussey, LaRocca, Chuck Warner(1st smith to build a 9x23 in a 1911, built it for Jeff Cooper) Kings Custom, JoJo's Les Baer, Ed Brown and more. Not bragging, just saying there is a difference. BTW a custom 1911 builder once told me a Springfield TRP is the best production 1911 off the shelf, and a Loaded is a good second.

JD8

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
What do you consider "high dollar"?

Also, feel free to look up those reviews. Many are from very reputable sources. Or you could just dismiss them out of hand for no good reason.

You stick with "reviews," I'll stick with real world experience and we'll both be happy. :D Just curious as to which of the "high dollar" 1911s you've owned?

Latest posts

Top Bottom