• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to OKShooters Association and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member

Want To Buy 2 3/8" Drill pipe/drill stem.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rez Exelon

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
75   0   0
I’ll help him. He’s got a welder and I’ll drag mine over there too if that’s what you’re asking. The 2-7/8 is for posts and the 2-3/8 is for top rail. He’s also getting sucker rod for the fence and cee purlin for the barn.
"I'll drag mine over there" says the man with the custom built Rolls Royce of welding trailers :D

mouthpiece

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Rating - 99.2%
124   1   0
All the 2 3/8" that I have bought was the sch 40 and I measured it with calipers and got .156" wall thickness so that .154" is probably spot on.
I have not seen and 1/4" wall stuff.
I have built many super strong things with the SCH 40 and rusting through in my lifetime I do not think so.
Unless you set it in mud.
Pretty much gonna be set in mud but I will pour concrete around them.
it's in the 100year flood plane

AKmoose

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
18   0   0
Looks like you could save at least a foot per post.
But then I'd have a chit load of 1' pieces to weld together just to get another post!
:hellno: Or coulda gone another foot on the 2'+ holes with concrete, in that hard stuff NO WAY. I was planning on a barb wire top but after saving a deer caught in the neighbors fence I decided against that so kinda liking the concertina wire idea just as a backup if need be plan. still need some for the other side though.

Mr.Glock

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
179   0   0
Here is what I was told by someone that is doing the same thing I am doing which is using this pipe for carport/shop legs(mine may actually turn into a shop)
the legs will be in the ground so you want the thicker pipe so it doesn't rust through
i'm either gonna try to use thick(.220) walled 2 3/8" pipe or I may go to the 2 7/8" and see what wall thickness it has.(i think my truss legs will accomodate the larger pipe but I will need to measure.
OR, I may end up using the thinner walled structural 2 3/8"(3/16" wall) pipe

You may be over thinking this and worrying about longevity.

The home place I recently bought has gates/pens and such built with drill stem. It was painted and put in the ground in the late 50’s. You should not have any worries about rusting in your lifetime!

I have dug up and removed differing sections of it recently to make the the old ones work for us. While the ground contact looked bad, it was still solid and no telling how many years it will go in and last.

IMG_5222.jpeg
IMG_5221.jpeg
IMG_5220.jpeg

Mr.Glock

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
179   0   0
Concertina?

@Perplexed Nope! Constantine Wire, it is different than Concertina Wire.

Constantine Wire in contrast to the helical construction of Concertina Wire, Razor Wire, or less commonly known Constantine Wire, consists of a single wire with teeth that project periodically along its length.

Constantine and Concertina are two different wires.

Last edited:

Oklahomabassin

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
11   0   0
But then I'd have a chit load of 1' pieces to weld together just to get another post!
:hellno: Or coulda gone another foot on the 2'+ holes with concrete, in that hard stuff NO WAY. I was planning on a barb wire top but after saving a deer caught in the neighbors fence I decided against that so kinda liking the concertina wire idea just as a backup if need be plan. still need some for the other side though.
Oh you pay extra for the pre cut posts.

Latest posts

Top Bottom