2009 Archery kills

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

grwd

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
entry wound

ai243.photobucket.com_albums_ff128_PharmD_ok_Deer2009_1_2.jpg

both entry and exit

ai243.photobucket.com_albums_ff128_PharmD_ok_Deer2009_1_1.jpg

Guess I waited too long to edit original post.

kudos on a very clean kill.

MoBoost

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
This was my third archery attempt - first time I knocked an arrow upside down and missed, second time deer didn't come close enough for my skill.
Finally, I got my first bow kill. This was the most challenging hunt I've ever attempted so far: no feeders, no blinds, no stands ... just hide behind a tree and wait.
Got very lucky 2 does and buck came up within 10 yards, and I took a shot at a doe from 12 yards - clean kill through both lungs, even though she took off running and I had to track blood for 100 yards. It was amazing that the other doe and the buck had no idea what just happened and continued to feed etc.
ai37.tinypic.com_346aiiw.jpg

The gear:
ai35.tinypic.com_244ejv6.jpg

RidgeHunter

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Very nice MoBoost, congrats. That is more of an accomplishment than 90% of big buck bragging stories you will ever hear.

I'm still trying for my first traditional deer. I'm hunting with my compound now as it is the rut and I want the advantage, but I am gonna take it out later in the season again and hope to have some sucess. Its a whole different ballgame drawing down on that deer before *RIGHT* before you shoot without getting busted. With a compound you can draw when the deer is way out there and hold it, ain't happening with a stickbow. To do it off the ground is even tougher.

What kind of bow/broadhead are you using?

bigcountryok

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
MoBoost... Welcome to the addiction. You have truly accomplished an awesome feat that most will never understand. Being on the same ground as your prey face to face being a true predator with just a stick and string is about as good as it gets. You're spoiled now.

MoBoost

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Thanks for the kind words. I've been scouting the area for the whole year - just hiding out in the mornings and watching deer and other wild life. For me hunting is more about just being there but not really present. Even after the kill I stayed completely still for 20 minutes till the rest of the deer passed through undisturbed.

I'm using Martin 200x 60lb bow and G5 Monotec 100gn broadhead. I've seen the arrow go in all the way to the feathers ... and I've found it about 40 yards away from the hit - I guess running has pushed the arrow all the way through. It took 30 minutes of hard tracking to find her in 3-foot grass - I could see imaginary blood speckles for hours everywhere.

Stick and string is exactly what it feels like when the deer is 20 yards away, and you feel like you could run over there and just tackle it ... but you KNOW you can't make that shot ....

Latest posts

Top Bottom