2010 Rut Report

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

WNM

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
They usually do this when they see/smell something that they see as a threat but are still confused or unsure of what it it. They usually blow a few times while they try to process it.

If it was just one sharp blow they probably saw you.

No it was a series of blows and I could hear the deer in the thick trees just before the small opening that I'm setup in. I had a bobcat come right under my stand and it never made an indication that it could smell me. A deer's smeller is probably better than bobcats.

ez bake

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
No it was a series of blows and I could hear the deer in the thick trees just before the small opening that I'm setup in. I had a bobcat come right under my stand and it never made an indication that it could smell me. A deer's smeller is probably better than bobcats.

I've actually had a few of them spot me and start blowing at me from different angles (I was in a tree with no stand) so I started making blowing noises back at them and drew out a smaller buck that was probably wondering what the heck I was doing.

Bowhunter

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
So far in the central part of the state the bucks just left their bachelor groups about a week ago. Rubs have been popping up everywhere. Not seeing much activiity this week except at last light.

RedTape

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I saw a nice 8-point chase a pair of does and grunt a few times about a week ago. Haven't been able to hunt that stand since. Hopefully the wind will allow me to later this week.

Prairie Wolf

New to the site!
Reaction score
Here in Kingfisher county along the Cimarron River we have just started to see bits and pieces of rut activity. Saw a nice 8 pointer make a scrape and dog a doe a little bit just a bit out of muzzeloader range. Noticed a good amount of scrapes and rubs pop up over the last 3 or 4 days. I'm thinking the first week of Novemeber will get things really going. Good Luck.

Reaction score
Interesting maps, but clearly wrong, as indicated by the multiple direct observations by people in this thread.

And I don't understand whether or not it's supposed to include Mulies. It does not include blacktail, and does include whitetail. But for some reason, much of the map covers large mulie areas where there are no whitetails at all, but not quite all of mulie range.

DownDeep

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
The bucks are no longer in bachelor groups in my hunting area. There was a group of four bucks running together before, but now are coming in and out of my stand site as individuals.
The cooler weather coming in the next few days should bring on the seeking phase of the rut, but the "Full Blown-Down to the Nitty Gritty" Chasing Phase is still a couple of weeks away.
While it is exciting to see a buck chasing a doe..... The seeking phase has proven to be the best time for me to harvest a mature buck.

hard_r

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Our bucks were hanging out together last time I checked trail cams. Then Sunday night I saw a good 8 by himself and he ended up going in the same group of trees where the does had went earlier.:anyone:

EDIT: Been kicking myself in the @$$ ever since for not shooting him. Didn't like the shot. Wasn't confident I could put him down. It was the right move, but of course my brain kept telling me I could've done it. Maybe he"ll come out tonight.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Just got my new issue of Outdoor life. It has a chart in there, where they looked at the harvest results in different states. There were over 74000 records compared. For Okla, it said the peak day of the rut, should be Nov 12.

Gahenna

New to the site!
Reaction score
Shot a 7 pointer that should of been a 10 pointer this morning. it broke most of its right antler. It's glands were soaked and had that wonderful smell that you get when they are soaked. Saw a very nice 8 pointer about an hour later come out of the same area. Lots of rubs. They are in pre rut or late pre rut in Northeastern Oklahoma. I hunt in creek county on a new lease and things are looking good. Deer weighed in at 122 lbs. Going out again in the morning to try and knock down a doe or two hopefully.:friday::friday:

Latest posts

Top Bottom