2014 Lawnmower Recommendations Part Deux

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

davek

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
My Y2K Simplicity ZT1850 seems to have arrived at the end of it's life. If anyone still made one with controls like that I'd get it.
Once you have a zero turn mower you can never go back. I was reminded of that when I borrowed my neighbor's mower to finish my yard. For my yard lawn tractors just don't cut it.
Parts of my yard are pretty rough so whatever I get has to take a beating.
Another zero turn is a must. 42 to 54 inches. 48-50 would probably be ideal. I have to stay under $5K, a lot less if I could. This is not in the budget and is going to hurt. I may even have to give up my Stag 3G.
To recap this years earlier thread:
No Briggs and Stratton.
There seems to be a lot of love for Bad Boy.
Goats are a good idea, but I'd need better fence.
The cheap option seems to be a Toro residential, 42" with the Kawasaki engine option.
The Hustler SD series or the best Bad Boy I think I can afford seem to be the other options.
I might even buy used if I could find one that I think would last.

Now that we are at the peak of mowing season, what say you all? I'm hoping this time of year to find some great sale deal!

doctorjj

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
If you want something to take a beating, then I'd suggest commercial, whatever you get. Toro commercial is what I have. My dad has a Dixon commercial. Bad Boys, Hustlers, etc are all good too, provided you get the commercial line.

swampratt

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
People getting spoiled with their zero turn mowers I have a 1981 gambles that seen heavy use on a farm in Missouri 10HP briggs looks like a little lawn tractor. still works great today..1 deck bearing replaced in all these years. I mowed many large lawns a year with it.

I like old stuff Zero faith in new stuff.
Friend has an old Jim Dandy about 60-70 years old, still works great.

But if you want a Zero Turn old is out of the picture.. have fun on your quest.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I have a 60" bad boy with a 27hp Kohler engine. Mow 4 acres that has 25 trees on it. I really needed that zero turn.
Its 4 years old now, and still runs like a new one. Tough machines.

Hobbes

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Bad boy and Hustler both make first rate mowers.
Both will push you to the edge of your budget limit.

If you buy a mower with stamped deck you will regret it.
Fabricated decks are durable.

mtnboomer

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Midwest City (usually)/Eufaula (when possible)
Having a small engine certification I will say most machines will do whatever you want them to do given that they are sized properly to the job they will perform. That said, Her are a few mandatory tips for long machine life.

1) Go to synthetic oil after the first oil change. I suggest 10w-30 over 5w-30 for the air-cooled engines as they will require the slightly heavier oil to aid in cooling.

2) Wash the machine and under the deck at least two to three times a season and before winter storage. This will help the engine to run cooler and prevent deck rust from the caked grass absorbing moisture.

3) Change oil before the beginning of every season and half way through the season in dusty conditions.

4) Replace the spark plug(s) and air filter at the beginning of every season. Keep the air filter clean or change during the season in dusty conditions.

5) DO NOT store the machine for winter with fuel in carb! Turn off the fuel with the engine running and let the engine starve out. This is the number 1 reason for not starting in the spring.

6) NEVER use ethanol-based fuel in a small engine! The ethanol will interact with the aluminum and erode the carb from the inside. The ONLY fix is a new carb.

badrinker

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I have a Toro "Titan", not quite commercial, but heavier than their normal residential mowers. No problems in 3 years of ownership, and sadly I'm really hard on equipment.

turkeyrun

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
TORO makes nothing. They are like SEARS/Craftsman and have it made by lowest bid and put their stickers on.
Commercial is better than box store, but my TORO is POS, and they will not cover it.
Get SNAPPER, it will run and run.

6) NEVER use ethanol-based fuel in a small engine! The ethanol will interact with the aluminum and erode the carb from the inside. The ONLY fix is a new carb.
Have fun with this one, since last year State of Okla requires a minimum of 10% ethanol in road fuel. You can find 100% gas, but you have to look for it.

Latest posts

Top Bottom