2014 Lawnmower Recommendations Part Deux

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

n423

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Bad boy and Hustler both make first rate mowers.
Both will push you to the edge of your budget limit.

If you buy a mower with stamped deck you will regret it.
Fabricated decks are durable.

This and ^^^^ do not use ethanol fuel in the engineor weed trimmers. use 100% non-ethanol fuel

7stw

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
It's probably not in your budget unless you could find a used one but I love the john deere 757 zero turn we have at the ranch. Bullet proof and those Koehler engines are tuff and require minimal maintenance.

Sent from NSA wire tapped device.

trickydick

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
You might take a look at the Toro Timecutter mx series, they have a fabricated deck and can be had with a Kawasaki engine at a fairly reasonable price. I personally have a Gravely mower and love it, but those are in a higher price bracket.

badrinker

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
TORO makes nothing. They are like SEARS/Craftsman and have it made by lowest bid and put their stickers on.
Commercial is better than box store, but my TORO is POS, and they will not cover it.
Get SNAPPER, it will run and run.

Toro has it's low end mowers (those sold by Home Depot) built by MTD. They manufacture all their own commercial grade mowers themselves, and in fact manufacture mowers for other companies.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Toro_(company)

davek

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I ran across a deal that interests me. It's a Ferris Evolution with a 48" deck. The seating position is different, it's sort of semi-kneeling with a motorcycle like seat and pads for your legs between your knees and ankles. 27 HP Kawasaki motor and seems to be built like a tank.
The controls are different from most zero turns, but much like my old Simplicity ZT1850 which I really like. With taxes an rebates it's a little bit over budget but not enough to make me totally reject it.
Any Ferris Evolution experience? I know there were problems with earlier ones with blade timing, but they've done away with the timed blade design so that shouldn't be an issue so experience with more recent ones would be great. Thanks.

FullAuto

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I ran across a deal that interests me. It's a Ferris Evolution with a 48" deck. The seating position is different, it's sort of semi-kneeling with a motorcycle like seat and pads for your legs between your knees and ankles. 27 HP Kawasaki motor and seems to be built like a tank.
The controls are different from most zero turns, but much like my old Simplicity ZT1850 which I really like. With taxes an rebates it's a little bit over budget but not enough to make me totally reject it.
Any Ferris Evolution experience? I know there were problems with earlier ones with blade timing, but they've done away with the timed blade design so that shouldn't be an issue so experience with more recent ones would be great. Thanks.
That looks much less comfortable than a regular seating position.

Latest posts

Top Bottom