2016 Morels

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Okie4570

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Special Hen Moderator Moderator
Reaction score
It may be too early on the calendar, but the weather says go look! Soil temp is right for most of the state but there's little to green up yet on the ground despite the trees starting to leaf. Only found them in March one year ever, and that was the last week of March. Usually the first couple of weeks of April before I see any here.

Anyone looked down south yet?

DRC458

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I love them, but I don't trust myself to be picking the right ones. The ones I have eaten were all harvested by someone who really knew what they were doing!

Okie4570

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Reaction score
That's the beauty of the morels, nothing else looks like them other than a false morel..........and they're easy to distinguish from a true morel. True morels have a hollow stem, false has webbing inside. I've only seen a couple of false morels ever.

deerwhacker444

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
They're already starting to find a few. We're a full month ahead of when I usually start finding them, but the conditions are right. If we get some rain this week like they're forcasting, I imagine they'll start popping all over. The next few weeks will be prime time.

Here's a forum to keep up on when people start finding them.

zghorner

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I was thinking about them this morning and planned on bumping last years thread. Traditionally they are popping up in central OK when the red buds start to bloom. After this weeks rain im hitting the woods.

deerwhacker444

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I love them, but I don't trust myself to be picking the right ones. The ones I have eaten were all harvested by someone who really knew what they were doing!
They're about the easiest mushroom to id. If it looks like a morel and is hollow from stem to stern, it's a morel.

[Broken External Image]

False morels are usually reddish or blackish and are not hollow.

morel%20and%20false%20morel.jpg

doctorjj

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
They're about the easiest mushroom to id. If it looks like a morel and is hollow from stem to stern, it's a morel.

[Broken External Image]

False morels are usually reddish or blackish and are not hollow.

morel%20and%20false%20morel.jpg

People have been eating the big reds for centuries. Not saying it's guaranteed to be okay and I'm not publicly condoning it, but people, including my family haven't had any issues for generations.

Okie4570

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Reaction score
^^^^^ I know some guys who eat reds too with no issues as well, and are the only variety of false I've seen around here, and only twice at that.

Latest posts

Top Bottom