22-250? who has one?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

flatwins

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I wanted one for years. Bought it, put 20 rounds thru it and sold it. I'll get another someday. I really like some of the stuff that is being done with the .243 now as well.

Schuster

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
My brother has one in the H&R Ultra Varmiter, a standard H&R and just bought a remington bdl bolt action. He shot a deer at 420 yards and it dropped. Great caliber to shoot in western Oklahoma. I know many yotes and deer have been taken by his varmiter.

GUN DOG

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I bought a savage VLP with the 1:9 twist. Shoots 69gr smk's into a ragged hole at 200 yrds if I do my part. Still loading diff loads for it because I have a # of powders that do not have a gun for them at the moment. Alot of the slower powders are doing great in the 26in barrel. One day i'll run them over the crony. get one you will like it:woot:

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Check out the ballistics on the 204 Ruger. A little flatter, and faster, it is the next caliber that I will buy.:wink2:

the .204 is an awesome round. My buddy has one and it is impressive for varmints.
The .22-250 is good for varmints also, but with a .55 gr bullet, it is legal for deer.
I have taken 4 deer with my .22-250, and they dropped like a rock. Just have to use the right bullet. Hyper-velocity rounds make a mess of their innards:D

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
The only bad thing I've heard, and I DON'T own one, is that they eat barrels in a hurry. Maybe someone has first hand knowledge about that.

The .22-250 does not eat barrels. I have shot 2K+ round out of mine, and it still clover leafs a 3 shot group at 100yds, and a nickle will cover the group at 200.
A lot of that story came from "internet guru's" that have no ballistic background nor do they have any metalurgic knowledge.
They ASSUME that a hot round will cause throat erosion.
The only round that did was the .220 Swift that would burn out a barrel in 1K rounds.
This was in the 50's.
New metals and chrome lined barrels have pretty much done away with any of that.
Log on to the Browning.com web site, and search down to the WSSM link.
They have done extensive testing to determine that the WSSM rounds will last longer in a barrel than the .22-250 will. Its amazing that the "internet Guru's, and even some of the national magazines labeled the WSSM's barrel burners before they even got on the market!! No testing, nothing.
They ASSUMED it would burn out a barrel. They need to find a new job.

Latest posts

Top Bottom