22-250? who has one?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Wizard

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
So ive been looking at getting a new rifle for varmits and such and my grandfather has a sweet 22-250 that I have seen him drop yotes at 300 yards flat dead and even a few at 400 yards. Ive always dismissed the round till I did some reading and found out the FPS and ballistics are better than a .223 and with newer rifles coming with quicker twist rates you can shoot the heavier bullets like the 65gr's.

So any input from those that have this rifle and some that also reload for it?

mspaeth53

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I have a Savage 12FV and love it. I also got into reloading. Nothing like building your own bullets, going to the range, and punching holes in paper. I can shoot 3 shots and cover them with a quarter at 200 yds. In 5 week I will get a change to put holes in Pdogs...

No.343

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
The only bad thing I've heard, and I DON'T own one, is that they eat barrels in a hurry. Maybe someone has first hand knowledge about that.

udiablo

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Not too bad on barrels, and very forgiving to reload for.

Have had several (still have two, but one is an AI).

Good variety of factory ammo available.

Inherently accurate.

Excellent varmint cartridge.

264Magnum

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I have an older Winchester varmint rifle in .22-250. I also have a .223 varmint rifle. Regardless of stats on paper, in the field, I've never noticed any real difference in the two.

Matt N.

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I got a 22-250 a few years ago, and will never be witout one again. 22-250s are typically easy to load for or find a good shooting factory load. You have seen what they can do, those results are common to the 22-250. I say get one.

Relentless

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I have a 22-250 and a 204. The 22-250 I just sold was a bvss, it would do less than 1/2" groups at 100. It would obliterate coyotes and things, hell I've shot a deer with one once, dropped in it's tracks. They say after 3-4000 rounds the barrels get burnt up, I believe it with all the powder in this thing, but I don't go set on p dog fields every day so it will last for me.

The problem with a 204 on yotes is you have to hit the perfectly, I shot one in the shoulder blade once and the bullet shattered, I had to send one up his ass as he was running away to drop him. I had the bullet shatter again on one and that's when she got put up for the 243

shortgrass

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
The .22-.250 is one of my favorites, wore one out and re-barreled it. Currently shooting the re-barrel in .22-250 A.I. will put 5 inthe same hole at 100 yds. I'm 'loading 55g. and 60g. soft points and they are both devistating on vermin (coyotes & prairie dogs). Have no experiance with the .204 but common sense tells me the wind would "eat it up" as that is what happens, at times, with the .22-250. Seems I've moved on to the "mild" 6mm's, with heavier bullets, because of the wind. We ,almost always, have 10mph to 15mph or more in Western Oklahoma.

Latest posts

Top Bottom