Savage 840 30-30

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

OlBrownTruck

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Hey all,
Looking for some information. I have the above mentioned rifle and I'm looking for the twist rate. I've seen some information about the 840/340/325 in 222 and 22 Hornet that suggests a 1:16 twist, but so far, I can't find anything on the 30-30. I had the idea to load some Hornady SST's for it, thinking maybe I could stretch the range a bit. The 150 grain bullets were long enough that they didn't work in the magazine, so I dropped back to a 125 grain load. At 50 yards, you can almost stack the bullets in the hole, but move out to 100 yards and it sprays them all over the target. I started with 32 grains of Accurate 2520 (because that's what I had), then loaded 10 more rounds at 33.5 grains. There was little difference in the way they shot. The overall length of the 125 grain SST is about the same as a 170 grain flat nose, but all of the mass is farther back on the SST's. The guy that runs the range where I was shooting suggested that the twist rate was not sufficient to stabilize the 125 grain short bullets. Any thoughts...?

Dumpstick

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I've got one of those 840 rifles in 30-30. Bought it closet-fresh, including the 1970s 4x scope. I haven't even fired the thing - so many guns, so little time.

ETA- Mine is actually a 340, not an 840.

Edit #2 _ It's a 325B savage. Not a 340, not an 840. I finally got it out of the safe and looked.

That being said:
The 30-30 was historically a 12 twist, from way back when. Considering that the 840 (and Savage/Stevens in general) was a budget rifle, I think it would be made with generally accepted features.

My bet is a 12 twist.

And, it should be fine for 120-ish bullets. Just perhaps not the bullet you tried.

Last edited:

OlBrownTruck

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I appreciate the input. I've been a gun nut for years and have always enjoyed shooting. However, I'm fairly new to reloading and this was an experiment because it was my dad's old rifle. I may tinker with it some more. The biggest problem with heavier bullets is overall length and getting them to fit in the magazine and feed through the chamber.

Dumpstick

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I appreciate the input. I've been a gun nut for years and have always enjoyed shooting. However, I'm fairly new to reloading and this was an experiment because it was my dad's old rifle. I may tinker with it some more. The biggest problem with heavier bullets is overall length and getting them to fit in the magazine and feed through the chamber.
Keep in mind, for the first several decades of the 20th century, there were factory loads for the 30-30 with ~120gr bullets. Many folks had one rifle; for squirrels to bear. Lighter bullets for lighter game, etc.

It will probably shoot better with something heavier - up to maybe 170g or so. You would have to seat the bullet in deeper, so take that into account when assembling the cartridge.

I don't think it would be a problem to find data for a 170ish bullet in a 30-30. Just check OAL, and stay at the lower load levels to start.

And keep us posted on the progress.

OlBrownTruck

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I actually started with 150 grain SST's. Had to seat the bullets below the cannelure to stay within the OAL constraints. They shot very well out to 50 yards. Actually didn't try them at 100. I had installed a new scope and spent part of what I had loaded getting it dialed in.

Dumpstick

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I looked at mine. Not an 840, not a 340.

It's a 325B. With an El Paso K4 Weaver, a side-mount scope, and a butter-knife bolt handle.

Attachments

• P1010297.JPG
    P1010297.JPG
    1.1 MB · Views: 0
  • P1010300.JPG
    P1010300.JPG
    1.2 MB · Views: 0
  • P1010302.JPG
    P1010302.JPG
    1.2 MB · Views: 0

Dumpstick

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Sweet like to have it
But if I sold it to you, what bolt action 30-30 would Mrs Dumpstick shoot?

Certainly you don't expect me to hand over the Remington 788 chambered in 30-30 ? The one I spent years looking for ? :nono1:
Nice looking old rifle!
Thank you sir. Plain Jane hardwood (probably beech) stock, but it looks good on that ol girl.

Latest posts

Top Bottom