3-gun Competition Shotgun?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

thefenux

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I'm in the process of setting up a older 1100 for 3-gun. I went with the 1100 for two reasons: lighter recoil and I got a really good deal on this one. My second choice, though much more expensive, was the FN SLP.

The Benellis are nice, but I personally don't like the extra kick their action brings along with it.

One word of advice though, I wouldn't recommend anything with less than a 21" barrel. The magazine extension will stick out way too far, and the extra sight radius is nice too. Mine is currently 26", but I'm going to be cutting it down to 21" or 23" in the near future.

AtomicTango

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I'm in the process of setting up a older 1100 for 3-gun. I went with the 1100 for two reasons: lighter recoil and I got a really good deal on this one. My second choice, though much more expensive, was the FN SLP.

The Benellis are nice, but I personally don't like the extra kick their action brings along with it.

One word of advice though, I wouldn't recommend anything with less than a 21" barrel. The magazine extension will stick out way too far, and the extra sight radius is nice too. Mine is currently 26", but I'm going to be cutting it down to 21" or 23" in the near future.

What all are you modding on your 1100? Are you going to have the barrel re-threaded for chokes after you get it chopped?

thefenux

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
AtomicTango said:
What all are you modding on your 1100? Are you going to have the barrel re-threaded for chokes after you get it chopped?

- Chopped the stock to a 13" LOP and added a Kick-Eze Rocker pad (it's awesome)
- Added a Vang Comp Big Head safety
- Added an Easyloader from Dave's Metal Works (also great but takes a little getting used too)
- Added a Nordic bolt handle that's huge

Still to do:
- Add a velcro side saddle for quick ammo changes
- Add a 2 Pack shell holder from 3gungear.com
- Add GG&G sling mounts and a Magpul MS3 sling.
- Add a +4 mag extension for a total of 8+1
- Cut the barrel down and have it threaded for chokes.
- Add a fiber optic front bead

I thought about putting on rifle sights and a plain barrel, but I found that I can shoot slugs out to 100 yards just fine with a bead and a vent rib. Also, I'm going to take it out to shoot some skeet and trap so the vent rib and bead is nice there.

Ignored Member

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
I don't recall feeling much recoil during matches when using my M2. The magazine tube sticking out far won't hurt a thing. Jesse Tischauser runs a +7 or 8 tube with a 21" barrel with a lot of success.

doctorjj

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
The Benelli's DO kick a lot more than a gas gun, be it a Beretta, a Versamax or even an old 1100. Whether that is an "issue" is up to the individual pulling the trigger.

thefenux

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
doctorjj said:
The Benelli's DO kick a lot more than a gas gun, be it a Beretta, a Versamax or even an old 1100. Whether that is an "issue" is up to the individual pulling the trigger.

That's pretty much the point I was making. The first time I shot a Benelli (M1 Super 90), I fired about four rounds of standard field loads and ended up with a huge bruise. The owner of the gun has absolutely no problem with the recoil.

I bought an 1100 and then still had to fit it and modify it to be able to shoot full power slugs without ending up bruised. Now I have no problems running 125 shells through it in an afternoon, including 15 full power slugs.

Your mileage may vary.

Latest posts

Top Bottom