40 years ago today

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RidgeHunter

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
"We are holding our own." - Captain McSorely

Last transmission. 10 minutes later a 728' ship dissapears from radar. Eerie.

Hell of a ship. Hell of a lake. Hell of a storm.

RidgeHunter

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I'm capable. Didn't ask for help. Was just stating that such a vague topic was outside my scope of experience or knowledge. Not a big deal... really pointing out my own lack of experience in something that people (or at least someone here) found so important as to likely be common knowledge. Yet I have no knowledge of it.

Anyways, thanks for the assistance.
Is that like a nervous tick? Pointing out common things you have no knowledge of, I mean. I notice you do that a lot.

tRidiot

Perpetually dissatisfied
Special Hen
Reaction score
Is that like a nervous tick? Pointing out common things you have no knowledge of, I mean. I notice you do that a lot.

I don't know, I guess you pay more attention than I do?

Is it a problem for you? Do I need to stop or something? I mean, we wouldn't want to offend someone by... well... by sharing personal things about our lives. Or whatever. But hey, just let me know.

HFS

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
tRidiot -- I am sorry for my short OP that didn't explain a thing. Should have copied and pasted a blurb from the news stories.
Bit of trivia: Edmund Fitzgerald was apparently a Milwaukee, Wisconsin, banker who arranged financing for the big ore freighter to be built and it was named after him.

What surprised me about the coverage of the story was HOW MANY ships have gone down (and how many lives lost) on the Great Lakes in storms, mostly in November. As Gordon Lightfoot blamed the sinking of the Fitzgerald in his song, "Twas the witch of November come stealing."

"...Incredibly, in the past 300 years, about 30,000 people have died in 10,000 shipwrecks on the Great Lakes, the Rev. William Fleming told the Detroit News.
Fleming is the pastor of the Mariners’ Church of Detroit, which was mentioned in the Lightfoot song. A service was held there Sunday to remember victims from all disasters and tragedies on the Great Lakes, including the loss of the Fitzgerald.
...As the season shifts toward winter, the polar jet stream begins to shift south and can stir up storms that produce howling winds and gigantic waves in November on the Great Lakes.
This makes it the most dangerous time of year for shipping, according to Bentley, now a professor at James Madison University. About 40% of all the Great Lakes shipwrecks have occurred in November."
http://www.news-leader.com/story/we.../75453176/?from=global&sessionKey=&autologin=

Latest posts

Top Bottom