4x4 Gurus??

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

penismightier

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Any people really in the know as far as 4x4s??

I'm having some tire rubbing issues on my vehicle.

Bought some bigger tires. Got some Bilstein adjustable shocks to lift front end to accommodate tires. According to shock mfg, the tires should fit without rubbing.

http://www.offroadwarehouse.com/products/sfID1/655/sfID2/665/sfID3/1262

07 Suburban 4x4, with 285/70/17 tires. Nitto Terra Grapplers.

Any ideas aside from cutting and trimming??

RaysZ71

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Reason you are rubbing is because you are not lifted enough. If you don't want to do suspension, a body lift will solve the problem. It could also be that the offset is wrong on the wheels if aftermarket, if factory then never mind this. What is it rubbing the Valance or the back side(corner). Either way you need a lift, at least a 3" for 285 tires.

penismightier

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Reason you are rubbing is because you are not lifted enough. If you don't want to do suspension, a body lift will solve the problem. It could also be that the offset is wrong on the wheels if aftermarket, if factory then never mind this. What is it rubbing the Valance or the back side(corner). Either way you need a lift, at least a 3" for 285 tires.

So the "lift" that bilstein claims is not real?

http://www.bilsteinus.com/products/lifted-truck-off-road/5100-series-ride-height-adjustable.html

Monotube gas pressure construction
Extremely affordable
Snap ring grooves on shock body provide up to 2.75" of front end lift (depending on application)
More practical than strut extension or spring pre-load spacer kits
Offers increased wheel travel while accommodating a 33" tire.
Application specific design available for many popular light trucks and SUVs.

It's rubbing on the left wheel, when turning right, hitting the fender lining, or whatever you want to call it. I'll upload a picture in a few minutes after I'm done grilling.

Jesus I'm lost.

RidgeHunter

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Just cut away what is rubbing. I have a 3/4 chevy with 35" tires and no lift.

God bless you son, a man among brahs in Oklahoma. I see queen brah trucks running 35's on 6" DB lifts every day, often complete with truck nuts. I run 33's (255/86/16 BFG's...spec out at 33.3, measured taller when I got them) on my itty bitty Tacoma with about 1.5" of spring lift.

You should be able to fit a 33" tire on just about any "normal" 4WD pickup or SUV with minimal lift. Not to get into suspension theory, but your wheel travel still takes the same path even with springs...it just rides higher when not cycling to full stuff. Your tire still travels the same path as it did stock, basically. A body lift gets you away from the tires, but is also mad ghey in most circumstances. Big tires = good, useless height = bad. Of course you get more rub with wider tires too.

OP - Sharp box knife and big scissors for cutting, BFH for beating. Sounds like you just have plastic rubbing, so that makes it easy. I cut a small pile of worthless plastic away from mine, just to minimize rubbing at full stuff.

Last edited:

DanB

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
If only this weren't avatar size i'd blow it up for you.

ai258.photobucket.com_albums_hh272_dblystone_Theyllfit.jpg

peppersac

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Yup start cutting! I will try to post some pics of mine. If you like the look of the plastic mud guard then I would just do a small lift. I have some friends that are anal and couldn't stand to cut but im a realist and cheap. Tin snips!!

Latest posts

Top Bottom