6.4 powerstroke

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dowmace

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
It is likely cheaper in the long run to buy the 6.7. The 6.4 was a mistake and ford knows it. That's why that engine didn't stick around for more than 2-3 years.

If you are not going to be towing then why would you want the added maintainince, fuel, and initial costs of a diesel? If your primary concern is reliability in a diesel then you should really look at the cummins. Or just get a decked out 1/2 ton and spend the leftover cash on wheels/tires etc.

I've driven or owned all of the big three's diesel options. I've had a 5.9 12v, 5.9 24v, 6.5 Detroit, 6.2 Detroit, LBZ duramax, LMM Duramax, and now I have my 6.0 Powerstroke, my brother had a 7.3 powerstroke. I've either owned or spent plenty of time in darn near every brand of diesel light duty truck. The cummins is not the epitomy of reliability unless you plan on getting an early 90's mechanical. The newer cummins are plagued with the same problems all the other trucks are because of the emmisions.

If you want the end all be all of reliability you want a 96-98 f250 or f350 with the 7.3 in it. In my opinion they are the longest lasting engines I've ever seen.

I would agree there were major problems with the 6.4 but thats not why it got cut so short in life. Ford had already made plans to drop out of their deal with Navistar and start building their own engines i.e. the 6.7 scorpion. I've driven quite a few of them looking at trucks the last year or so and I have yet to find one that I think could honestly hang with my 6.0 without major mods and tons of money poured into it. I just wish the 6.0 didn't have such a crappy reputation I've had some problems with mine but it's got 175k miles on it and there was a lot of towing going on for most of those miles. Problems are expected.

farmerbyron

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I've driven or owned all of the big three's diesel options. I've had a 5.9 12v, 5.9 24v, 6.5 Detroit, 6.2 Detroit, LBZ duramax, LMM Duramax, and now I have my 6.0 Powerstroke, my brother had a 7.3 powerstroke. I've either owned or spent plenty of time in darn near every brand of diesel light duty truck. The cummins is not the epitomy of reliability unless you plan on getting an early 90's mechanical. The newer cummins are plagued with the same problems all the other trucks are because of the emmisions.

If you want the end all be all of reliability you want a 96-98 f250 or f350 with the 7.3 in it. In my opinion they are the longest lasting engines I've ever seen.

I would agree there were major problems with the 6.4 but thats not why it got cut so short in life. Ford had already made plans to drop out of their deal with Navistar and start building their own engines i.e. the 6.7 scorpion. I've driven quite a few of them looking at trucks the last year or so and I have yet to find one that I think could honestly hang with my 6.0 without major mods and tons of money poured into it. I just wish the 6.0 didn't have such a crappy reputation I've had some problems with mine but it's got 175k miles on it and there was a lot of towing going on for most of those miles. Problems are expected.

No doubt that emissions have screwed up the reliability. The 6.7 cummins is no where near the 5.9 in terms of reliability. Got 2 cummins running around with 183k and 175k and nary a problem on either. The 6.7 with 73k has been in the shop more than the 5.9. They are all farm trucks so they don't get babied either.

The 7.3 powerstroke is the best diesel ford has ever made IMO.

dowmace

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
No doubt that emissions have screwed up the reliability. The 6.7 cummins is no where near the 5.9 in terms of reliability. Got 2 cummins running around with 183k and 175k and nary a problem on either. The 6.7 with 73k has been in the shop more than the 5.9. They are all farm trucks so they don't get babied either.

The 7.3 powerstroke is the best diesel INTERNATIONAL has ever made IMO.

Fixed it for you, I have zero faith in Ford to build a diesel engine, chevy couldn't do it without Izuzu and even still I have little faith in the duramax they seem good enough but everyone I know who has one spends more on repairs than I do on my 6.0 which is supposed to be a terrible engine.

PUMPKIN

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
If you install wix filters in that stupid sideways mounted filter housing that is mounted on the framerail of the 6.4 fords go ahead and take out 5 k extra when you buy the truck.

dowmace

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
My lb7 Duramax will slap around any 6.0 ford!! With under 1k of mods and 160 k miles!!

HA! Any 6.0?

Too bad the diesel drags are over for the season. My 6.0 has walked away from every duramax I've raced, although very few of them had any mods at all. The only one that gave me trouble was an LBZ with EFIlive I don't know what all else was done but he was running 13.8X at the track consistently.

AllOut

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
If you drive like a grandpa then you are doing good by picking the 6.4 instead of the 6.0 the vgt turbo requires you to drive it hard every now and then it it'll get clogged up.

Negative ghost rider, the 6.4 needs the piss drove out of it as well. If not and or you let it idle a lot it will constantly go into ReGen and clog up your particulate filter pretty quick. Last I checked that filter is still couple grand.

To the OP, the later model 6.0s have duel climate control option. My 2006 had it (Lariate), but I'm not saying you should buy a 6.0.....
Sounds to me like you have no real reason to buy a 3/4 ton or a Diesel. You want dependable, Not with the 6.4! Your not towing, why in world would you buy a diesel? $100 oil changes, higher pump prices, rough riding etc....
You drive like a grandpa.... Not how newer diesels need to be driven!
Sorry but Sounds like your research wasn't very good.

PUMPKIN

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
HA! Any 6.0?

Too bad the diesel drags are over for the season. My 6.0 has walked away from every duramax I've raced, although very few of them had any mods at all. The only one that gave me trouble was an LBZ with EFIlive I don't know what all else was done but he was running 13.8X at the track consistently.
my truck runs 15.30's. with less than a grand in mods. How bout your 6.o?

Duramax fastest diesel in the world. http://www.bankspower.com/news/show...drag-truck-will-ride-again-at-nhrda-nationals

Old Fart

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
If you drive like a grandpa then you are doing good by picking the 6.4 instead of the 6.0 the vgt turbo requires you to drive it hard every now and then it it'll get clogged up.

Mines a cummins, but one of my favorite ways of getting tailgaters off my butt is to blow it out. One big rank cloud of smoke. :thumbup3:

CHenry

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
The 6.4 was a mistake and ford knows it. That's why that engine didn't stick around for more than 2-3 years.
Actually thats not true. They were finalizing a suit against Navistar and were not looking to sign anymore design contracts with them and at the same time, EPA tier II mandates became law and the 6.4 didnt meet those required emission standards. So Ferd designed their own deisel and called it the Scorpion 6.7 liter.
Same thing cause the 7.3 to be shelved in 2003, same thing cause the 6.0 to end production in 2007.
I had a 6.4 and I loved it but I also have a lift and when the cab needed to come off for a repair (only happened once) the cab was removed in about an hour, repair made and cab back on by dinner time. If you have to pay Ferds $120/hour labor rate, thats where the expense comes in.
I had the H@S tuner, intake and open 4" exhaust and I whipped my buddy in his Vett from 0-70 mph on SH-62 one day after coming back from the track.

Latest posts

Top Bottom