80's Survival knives

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dmc707

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Just a show n tell post - but i am soliciting opinions on someone who could make a sheath for the bottom blade -- an Explorer Wilderness - I have 2 of them and although a custom sheath would cost more than these kinives are worth - why not? Gotta carry the darn thing somehow to use it

I was a kid in the 80's so who wouldnt want a knife with a compass in the cap, and the ability to carry a garrote wire , some fishing line , hooks and matches in there too ?

The black Explorer Wilderness 2 - (5" clip point bowie style) was actually carried by me in DS1 - my dad bought it for me for my 14th birthday and it accompanied me on lots of childhood adventures and culminated with a tour in the sandbox

Knife's not visible in the pic but is probably on my LBE --- never had a concern about this rather fragile knife design not holding up because i used it for things that you historically do with knives (cutting things) ---- not for splitting wood or doing prybar stuff

Just getting old and reminiscing on a Sunday i suppose ----- but i would pack that serrated knife in a truck box or something for sure with a better sheath

ABwro3b.jpg

kJI1JCl.jpg

ozoanL9.jpg

8lDJpbM.jpg

And since i went down the rabbit hole of 80's knives and DS1 -- heres the stuff that was issued --
very old school Navy MK-2 survival knife and IMO the best US issued knife of all aside from a Randall's Raiders Bowie --- the original multi tool -- i still have it and use it regularly !

bZZmrcO.jpg

Last edited:

HFS

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I had one made by a company called Valor back in the day. It accompanied me on many missions down on the creek behind our house.

View attachment 477884
Those Valor knives made in Japan and some other brand made in Germany (names escapes me) were good, solid knives back in the day.
I got nostalgic and started poking around some time back. There are sellers asking some C-R-A-Z-Y (to me at least) prices on Ebay for them nowadays.

Glock 'em down

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Those Valor knives made in Japan and some other brand made in Germany (names escapes me) were good, solid knives back in the day.
I got nostalgic and started poking around some time back. There are sellers asking some C-R-A-Z-Y (to me at least) prices on Ebay for them nowadays.

It was a good knife. I wish I woulda kept it. :grumble:

Jason Freeland

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I still have mine running around somewhere, nothing still in it of course. Had one of the ones with the ball compass in the top too, but you couldn't hammer stuff with those. It had an honest to god survival kit inside that you had to be real careful taking out, it did not like to go back in.

harley128

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Just a show n tell post - but i am soliciting opinions on someone who could make a sheath for the bottom blade -- an Explorer Wilderness - I have 2 of them and although a custom sheath would cost more than these kinives are worth - why not? Gotta carry the darn thing somehow to use it

I was a kid in the 80's so who wouldnt want a knife with a compass in the cap, and the ability to carry a garrote wire , some fishing line , hooks and matches in there too ?

The black Explorer Wilderness 2 - (5" clip point bowie style) was actually carried by me in DS1 - my dad bought it for me for my 14th birthday and it accompanied me on lots of childhood adventures and culminated with a tour in the sandbox

Knife's not visible in the pic but is probably on my LBE --- never had a concern about this rather fragile knife design not holding up because i used it for things that you historically do with knives (cutting things) ---- not for splitting wood or doing prybar stuff

Just getting old and reminiscing on a Sunday i suppose ----- but i would pack that serrated knife in a truck box or something for sure with a better sheath

ABwro3b.jpg

kJI1JCl.jpg

ozoanL9.jpg

8lDJpbM.jpg

And since i went down the rabbit hole of 80's knives and DS1 -- heres the stuff that was issued --
very old school Navy MK-2 survival knife and IMO the best US issued knife of all aside from a Randall's Raiders Bowie --- the original multi tool -- i still have it and use it regularly !

bZZmrcO.jpg
Very cool pics. And, thank you for your service.

Latest posts

Top Bottom