Accuracy issues with bull barrel rock river arms ar15- Tulsa ar builder to trust?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

czechnolike

Marksman
Supporting Member
Supporter
Reaction score
Greetings all,

I bought a bull barrelled, 18 inch, 1 in 8 twist AR-15, rock river arms, from the big Tulsa gun show.

It has an awesome trigger, psg1 grip, and excellent stock. Love the idea of it.

I cleaned the Barrell, and have shot about 12 different type of ammo through it. It's not liking much! 1 to 3 moa groups. Switched scopes and mounts too.
Very inconsistent.

My rock river arms LAR15, with a gov barrel, eats 55 ball ammo all day with around 1 inch groups. No problem.

Who in the Tulsa area is reputable to trouble shoot an AR? I figure it's with having a check over for torque, worn parts, etc. before going to the next step

Anyone have Crusader tactical or Advanced combat troubleshoot accuracy issues?

Or do I have a worn out barrel? This AR must be 15 years old. Don't want to dump a bunch of money into it, but definitely open to a new barrel IF that is the problem.

Pics, Bull is the bull Barrell ones. 16 is the rock river arms 16 inch operator. That thing just rocks the ball ammo! 77 match as well.

100 yard groups, 40 degree day, little wind.

Also note, I have a Remington 700 varmint 223 that will stack a dime at 100 yards. I can normally get a quarter out of it. Some of this problem may be me the shooter, but not all.
So, I have interesting news and some things confirmed.
Went back to the range with a harmonic device i
Of sorts. Limbsaver dampener
https://limbsaver.com/products/stabilizer-dampenerThanks to clint for the suggestion. Had some more issues while trying it.
***** to put on.

Noticed the 556 ammo would not extract after loaded. Also noticed damage to the neck shoulder and body. Neck was crushed slightly for most 556. Photo has that one in the right.
223, very clean. In the left.

Had to pound the gun to get 556 ammo to eject.
Started thinking this is an AR-15 with 223 chamber?

Looked up the barrel, here it is:
https://doublestarusa.com/24-1-8-fluted-bull-barrel-gas-block.htmlNotice it's 556. I have a non fluted one, but the exact same one. Pretty sure this came stock with Rock river arms.

Another big issue was some double firing. Would pull the trigger , 2 shots. Sometimes shoot after releasing the trigger, but not consistent.
I did notice this last week, but thought it may be me . Pretty sure there is some other issue besides the barrel with that!
Kinda scary.

Attachments

• IMG_20240101_180134414_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20240101_180134414_HDR.jpg
    2 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_20240101_175755383_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20240101_175755383_HDR.jpg
    2.5 MB · Views: 0

RangerRick

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
i have a R/R varmint 20" haven't had any issues, just wondering have you checked the gas tube for carbon build up, also are you also only shooting .223 or a mix of .556 and .223 . the sear issue is more important than the grouping right now. I'm thinking the gas block/gas tube issue may be the issue with the accuracy. mine i have owned about 20 years, also has the wylde chamber. also mine has less the 1k thru it

czechnolike

Marksman
Supporting Member
Supporter
Reaction score
i have a R/R varmint 20" haven't had any issues, just wondering have you checked the gas to for carbon build up, also are you also only shooting .223 or a mix of .556 and .223 . the sear issue is more important than the grouping right now. I'm thinking the gas block/gas tube issue may be the issue with the accuracy. mine i have owned about 20 years, also has the wylde chamber.
Haven't pulled apart the gas tube yet. Mashing of 556 bullets make me think the chamber was not built correctly, manufacturing defects.

Blackdog

Marksman
Supporting Member
Supporter
Reaction score
How are you collecting your brass? Off the ground after its been fired and slammed against the brass deflector and hitting the floor? Smashed case mouths on semi autos is common id say. If your chamber was trashed it would not load and cycle over and over for 2 shots. Look for pressure signs on the case, otherwise they look fine to me

czechnolike

Marksman
Supporting Member
Supporter
Reaction score
How are you collecting your brass? Off the ground after its been fired and slammed against the brass deflector and hitting the floor? Smashed case mouths on semi autos is common id say. If your chamber was trashed it would not load and cycle over and over for 2 shots. Look for pressure signs on the case, otherwise they look fine to me
In a net next to the rifle. The smashed ones, 556, before fired, would not extract manually without bashing the rifle down to give enough force on the charging handle to extract. It took a big hit to extract them! Guy next to me said he's never seen this before!

Also note, once I notice the neck deforming, I decided to try to manually extract several casing before firing. 223 and 556. 223 was fine. 556 was a beatch that needed bashing.

Last edited:

RangerRick

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
If that chamber is .223 they say not to shoot .556 in them unless it is a wylde chamber. the three are all a little bit different. mine is a wylde chamber but have never shot .556 in it

Blackdog

Marksman
Supporting Member
Supporter
Reaction score
Take the handguard off and read the barrel stamp. Then buy a nice drop in trigger or swap that buffer spring and see if that stops that back to back firing.

ClintC

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Take the hand guard off from around the barrel and verify the barrel chambering. a lot of these companies will buy barrels from one company but have it fit their needs.

measure the spent brass case base and length of a 556 and 223 round you where shooting.

as for the double fire. Light triggers will cause this during recoil Or even letting the rifle bounce off your shoulder free recoiling the rifle. someone could have done a bad trigger job on the rifle.

this is all guesses without seeing or shooting the rifle. this could be why the rifle was sold.

Latest posts

Top Bottom