America Stole A German Submarine And Stuck It In Chicago

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SoonerP226

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Been in it - those U-boat crews were a tough lot. I can't imagine being packed in that thing and underwater. The American subs were luxury liners in comparison.
The Balaos and Gatos were, but there’s a reason their predecessors were called Pig Boats.

I’ve read the memoirs of a few WWII Pacific fleet submariners, and they were a special breed of cat. I remember one officer who said he pitied the nicotine fiends in the crew, but none of them, no matter how bad it got, would light up when they were submerged. Of course, part of that was because, after a few hours, you couldn’t—there wasn’t enough oxygen in the air to keep a cigarette lit.

xseler

These are not the firearms you're looking for.
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Been in it - those U-boat crews were a tough lot. I can't imagine being packed in that thing and underwater. The American subs were luxury liners in comparison.

When I lived in Fresno, CA years ago, my downstairs neighbor told me that he had been in the German Navy on a sub in the Atlantic during WWII. After the war ended, he was placed in prison in England until 1955. After that, he moved to Wisconsin and became a barber. You would've never known just by looking at him.........

Latest posts

Top Bottom