and in national news.......... Alameda California Emergency response FAIL

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

maxim240sx

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I read about this on yahoo today. It's friggin ridiculous!!! Apparently the firemen on the shore didn't have the "training or gear" to go save the guy. It was said it took an hour for him to drown, and he looked back at the shore several times before finally going under. Now what kind of gear is needed for water rescue when the water was only 6' ish that he dies in. Firemen will run into burning buildings to save people, but not wade into 6' of water?

Glocktogo

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
You'd think that at least one friggin' person on that beach would've had the balls to wade out there and talk to the guy! Imagine how he must have felt watching all those sorry excuses for humans, not doing a damn thing to help him in his most desperate time. Sad, and pathetic. California sucks! :(

maxim240sx

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Yeah I was just wondering how they are sleeping tonight. I read there were around 75 people on the shore watching. And it took about an hour for him to expire. But now the town is going to spend $40,000 to train 16 firefighters on land to water rescue. I mean seriously, is it that complex?????

Shadowrider

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
The Alameda Fire Department says budget constraints are preventing it from recertifying its firefighters in land-based water rescues. Without it, the city would be open to liability.

There ya go. That's the problem right there. I would venture a guess that if someone had went out there, they would get fired, and the city would probably get sued anyway....

The Toad

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Guess that is one way to make your point that the city should have forked out the extra money for the response team's training. Just hope they decide to pay for their first aide training recert's. Would hate for them to arrive at a house only to find a person in need of first aid and peeps just sit back and let someone else expire. This just makes me sick.

nofearfactor

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Im from there and have been to that area a million times. What happened is embarrassing. A really ****ed up story. A Rescue squad not being able to help just because of a bunch of redtape and protocol against it? Someone, a citizen, did finally wade out to get him and bring him back in, but he was already expired. Unless you have ever been in that water this time of year, or any time really, and not like it matters, but, that water is cold as **** there. Surfers surf in wetsuits there. So Im sure that was what kept alot of those people who were just watching from helping him. But the rescue team should feel ashamed for not saying **** the rules and just save someones life- no matter the guy was trying to kill hisself. Some assed sad shite. I could give a shite what people say about California because most of it is usually true. But I was born and raised there and even though I know how ****ed things are there its still home and I still love it there,especially in northern Cali where I live. But this is beyond what is considered humane. I bet they would have saved an animal. But a human dying, its just wrong.

Cinaet

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Kind of makes you sick to your stomach. Hindsight is prolly working pretty hard on some of those guys and prolly will the rest of their lives.

Would you put your life on the line for someone who is trying to commit suicide?

Rob72

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Here is "The Deal": ...and its true for most services across the country. If a person is drowning/in flood waters/river/etc., Police/Fire/EMS are to wait for the Water Rescue squad, for two primary reasons- 1) if something goes wrong, the family of the victim may sue, stating that the actions of the "untrained" rescuer(s) contributed to or caused the victim's death, and 2) if the rescuer dies, their family may sue the municipality for inadequate training, leading to the death.

From the perspective of a responder, if you attempt a rescue, and succeed, great, the Dept. gives you a medal and a quiet verbal warning not to do that s**t again. If you fail, you'll definitely be fired, and you may lose your license, if the Dept. goes to the State Board and accuses you of "practice beyond competence". Welfare of my family & waste of education and experience by forced career change, vs. trying to save jerkwad who is trying to kill himself....hmmmmm.

Along with that, its typical Cali/urban America- ZERO personal responsibility. We want to be able to sue if things go wrong, but whine and cry when the resulting protective measures that practioners have to have lead to unintended consequences, and we sure as heck won't do anything "MYSELF!?!?"

Latest posts

Top Bottom