And so it begins...kinda...284 Winchester

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ksmirk

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I went with the 284 Win just cause I like to be different and we had the reamer. With the 162 A-Max my COL is 3.100" .010 off the lands and it seems to be working great. The 280 is a fabulous round and what this rifle was going to be until we found that 284 Win reamer :-) I have been told by several that my velocities are not correct and I must be overpressuring the case and I'm not going to doubt anyone but I show no pressure signs and am on the 5th loading with this brass, the 162's across my CED are clocking 3011fps, I upset some buddies with the 7WM not getting there.

I think the 280 AI is a good round and have known of 2 but they had issues with accuarcy and went back to the straight 280 and fixed the problem, why an issue I couldn't tell ya. You could have issues if you wanted a repeater with the 280 and 180's

I am loving what my 284 is doing for me and it is my only strickly hunting rifle I own! I have several others but they are a touch on the heavy side so I built the 284 with a pencil barrel at 26" being I mostly hunt out West I like the added range. I think either way you go 284 or 280 you should be a happy camper but my nod would be for the 284 and seat the bullets out further. Later,

Kirk

QTRMOA

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I had Preston at Surgeon build me a Surgeon 7 WSM.
YOu could build one on a LA to feed the 180 berger at 3150. Barrel life is around 1,400 rounds.
I slowed my 7 WSM down to 2950 fps with the 162 Amax (close to same velocity as .284) and I should get aprox. 2,500 rounds out of the barrel.
I shot a 2.25" five shot group at 800m in a 3-4 full value wind a few weeks back.
The advantage is hunting ammo is easy to find.
Case needs to be trimmed only once.
Good brass (I have 8 reloads out of my Win brass at 3150 fps)
You can run it super flat or slow it down and get better barrel life.

Ksmirk

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
That's my next toy a 7WSM but on a pistol platform, I have all the goodies but just need to get with my smith when we can figure out a time to get together funny how this time of the year everyone is busy.

Something about the 7mm's that just fits, you can get plenty heavy enough bullets, the BC's are about the best you can get, the velocities are on par to push the high BC bullets at long range hard to not like the caliber! when the long range BR guys are going back to them there is a reason.

QTRMOA, if you don't mind I would like to get your load data as I am in the process of getting components together. This pistol will be a single shot and I have a throat reamer so I can set the COL at whatever I would like as long as I have enough hold from the brass to keep the bullet. If you would be so kind to PM me that information and yeah I know back off the powder :-) Later,

Kirk

kpk

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I think the 284 is the way I want to go. I really want to seat the 168 and 180 vlds out a ways and it should feed just fine!

Now for the rifle itself. I'm going to go with a Rock 5R barrel, but what contour? I want a 10-12 lb rifle with probably a mcm a5 stock w/o scope. I'm thinking either a Sendero or M24 profile. What kind of weight can I expect with a 26" barrel and those contours? Probably Seeking bottom metal, Timney trigger, etc.

Ksmirk

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Might look at the #4LV pretty close to the Sendero taper. You might give Preston a call and ask him? I'm thinking he has built a couple and may have a better idea to get you closer to the weight your after.

For the stock you might want to give Kevin Rayhill a call, he is the owner of Stockade Gunstocks I have one of his stocks on my 308 and really like it plus you can get it either out of the mould, sanded and prime, or complete and if I recall Prestons action have the same footprint as a Rem 700. Don't send Kevin an e-mail set aside 30 minutes and just call him and if you do tell him Kirk Smith said hi.

With the 284 Win don't overlook the 162 A-Max bullets! they are reasonable in the price and pretty good with the BC not to mention they are pure hell on deer! shot a yote one evening and let's just say they are not fur friendly :blush: Everyone is talking RL17 powder is THE powder but I've not had much luck with getting good groups, velocity is a touch better but I've had my best luck with the Hybrid100V powder.

Keep us informed how things go I think you'll be happy with the 284. Later,

Kirk

Ksmirk

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I'm cheap! that's why I build my rifles now :lmfao: they are good stocks but so are the Bell and Calrson stocks but when I was building the 308 it was going to be a 6-8 month wait to get the stock and I got the stock from Kevin in 3 months and saved right at $250, I have a BC on my 243 and 223 and they work great. I really depends on how much you want to spend and how long your willing to wait for a stock. This is just me but I can't see where the high dollar stocks shoot any better but it's cool to throw those names around at the range you get more cool points from the guys.

Like my pistol build sometimes you don't have much choice on stocks, see how many stocks you can find for a Savage Striker so I have had $230 tied up for the last 3 months and $85 for the film dip for this stock and if the planets stay lined up I should see the stock around the 15th of Dec but I WANT this stock and am cool with waiting. Get ready for a wait on your build as it takes time to get the goodies. I use McGowen barrels and for my .284 blank for the 7WSM it took 2 months to get but I also ordered a special taper and that's not a bad wait.

The thing about building a rifle is that YOU get to make it how YOU want but the thing about that is you don't get it when you want :-) dude if you want to coat your barrel in 24K gold with silver stars knock yourself out! it's yours and you can do with what you want so the whole thing boils down to this is your rifle build what you want, listen to others for suggestions but in the end do what you want cause it's your money. Later,

Kirk

Latest posts

Top Bottom